Fox Alps 4 Replacement - help

Parts and accessories for your bike
Forum rules
Stay on topic. Be courteous.

Fox Alps 4 Replacement - help

Postby wa_desert_rat » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:11 am

My wife has a 1990s Trek Y33, the classic yellow carbon Y-frame that probably should be in a modern art museum somewhere. Anyway it has a stock Fox Alps 4 rear shock without a lockout that bobs like a maniac even when I press it up to 250lbs with my chock pump.

Replacing rear shocks is confusing. I'm not sure if they list the lengths as stroked in or stroked out but I do know that the mounting bolt sizes and all that minutiae are critical. She definitely wants a lockout but it doesn't have to be remote.

She has found a DNM rear shock with lockout for $79 on Amazon but I am not entirely sure whether or not this will work for her Fox.

I know you guys are clued into all this stuff.... so what are your suggestions? She would like to stay under $100.
Last edited by wa_desert_rat on Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WDR
http://www.bigboxbikes.com
"No one has ever had to evacuate a city because the solar ;panels broke!"
wa_desert_rat

Re: Fox Alps 4 Replacement - help

Postby wa_desert_rat » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:01 pm

Jeez.... no one has any ideas on this?
WDR
http://www.bigboxbikes.com
"No one has ever had to evacuate a city because the solar ;panels broke!"
wa_desert_rat

Postby dumbname » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:28 pm

I know little about suspensions but found this on another forum " You need a 6.5" shock with a 1.5" stroke" which is equal to 165mm with 38mm stroke hope that helps people who understands this better than me. also don't know how accurate the measurements are
dumbname

Postby dddd » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:51 pm

The Y bikes had a forward pivot location with unified (one piece) swingarm/bottom bracket.

As such, these are not known for having excessive motion in response to pedaling, especially when the rider is off the saddle and pedaling uphill.

Could be that having the shock rebuilt (including the internal damper assembly) will make the pedaling platform feel as firm as it should be.

My own old Y-5 aluminum Trek uses a fox coil shock that pedals pretty nicely all of the time, and this shock still doesn't need a rebuild since new (20 years ago). Your air shock has a somewhat miniaturized damper inside that just may need seals, oil and nitrogen to work like it should. Fox has quick turnaround on rebuilds based on my past servicing of another coil shock, so you could call them about perhaps getting the Alps shock worked on.
Also I would check on Ebay for any rebuild kit for the Alps shock, but if an aftermarket shock can be found with the right dimensions, spring weight and adjustable damping, then that also might work, and might be the best way to go.
dddd

Return to Components