Shimano Hone RD-M600 Rear Derailleur - Forget adapters!

Parts and accessories for your bike
Forum rules
Stay on topic. Be courteous.

Shimano Hone RD-M600 Rear Derailleur - Forget adapters!

Postby Tomcat65 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:49 pm

I bought one of these. Funny to me that they were built for mountain bikes, including downhill bikes. I bought it for my old steel frame Murray with bullhorns and converted to 700x23c. Not at all what the Hone was intended to do, but I have my reasons.

The rear derailleur on most older steel frames sits on an adapter that hangs down from the rear axle dropout. The adapter takes up a bit of space in the dropout, which makes the axle sit lower on the drive side, and the non drive side is suspended from the seat of the dropout with no solid stop support. This is not especially friendly to QR wheelsets, or even some bolt-on axles.
bike-derailleur-rear-mech-hanger-plate-bracket-with-nut-and-bolt-[2]-2798-p.jpg
bike-derailleur-rear-mech-hanger-plate-bracket-with-nut-and-bolt-[2]-2798-p.jpg (8.46 KiB) Viewed 171 times

To top all, that adapter nut on the inside rubs most modern hubs or cassette lock nuts because of the close tolerance. So I add a thick washer, with one side ground off to match the flat side of the nut, now suddenly my hub now measures 137.5mm in my already stressed frame built for a narrow hub. AND, I have to align this washer every time I install the wheel.

So, I spotted a picture online and I was shocked, an axle mounted derailleur that could bypass any need for a derailleur hanger. SOLD!
I get it home and wow... It works opposite of any derailleur I ever owned. In it's normal position, it's low and on the big gear. As you shift against the spring, it moves to the smaller gears. I've read that it's supposed to be used with a specific hub, and that it requires a solid axle with enough threads to reach the derailleur nut. But I'm going to use it on a basic QR hub and a friction shifter, bypassing all of the rules.
Hone Rear Derailleur.jpg
Hone Rear Derailleur.jpg (11.99 KiB) Viewed 171 times

It looks nice,
But the beauty of this thing is the back view. Look where the locating tab is! It sits on the lower/open side of the axle dropout. So I can fully seat my axles on both sides, and forget the back nut interference! I love this thing!
Shimano Hone rear derailleur back view.jpg
Shimano Hone rear derailleur back view.jpg (104.08 KiB) Viewed 171 times

Problem, it's not QR friendly. YET :P I'd get yelled at by everyone on any other forum, but Here, I'm going to tell you my grand plan. The QR skewer is going to be my new fuse point instead of a derailleur hanger. I'm going to grind a QR nut to fit in the Hone's derailleur to axle nut socket, and see how long it lasts. The warranty on this 1984 model Murray is long expired anyway.
I'm believing this derailleur is going to work for what I need. Shimano also made a version of this same design in the Saint line. This could answer some frame to axle/hub problems for me, it might work for some of you too!

Used, these things are selling for around $25.. New Old Stock (because they're discontinued) they sell for around $35. I'm going to keep messing with it until I get it to work, will post up pics as soon as I can get a first ride in.
Tomcat65

Re: Shimano Hone RD-M600 Rear Derailleur - Forget adapters!

Postby dddd » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:22 pm

I had no idea how the particular axle thread diameter would play into getting this thing to fit, not sure where any axle nut is supposed to go, or if the raised tab/boss on the back of the bracket is angled properly for an old or cheap bike's "horizontal" dropout slot!

That is a "low normal" or backwards derailer. If it is labeled DynaSys it is only for 10s, but if not it should work with any cassette less than 10s, EXCEPT 7S, since 7s cassettes have asymmetric cog spacing and will best use a 7s shifter to match.
The modern 7s freewheel or cassette uses a 3.3mm spacer between the 2nd and 3rd smallest cogs, the other spacers are all 3.1mm. So using this derailer would make the 7s shifter move too far between the 2nd and 3rd largest cogs (and not quite far enough between the 2nd and 3rd smallest cogs). Backwards is really backwards then if the cassette is 7s, it would more or less work but shifting would prove difficult to adjust precisely for every gear.
dddd

Re: Shimano Hone RD-M600 Rear Derailleur - Forget adapters!

Postby Tomcat65 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:04 pm

I put it on today, but it was raining off and on, so I didn't get to ride it much. I did get the bugs worked out, and since I'm using an old friction shifter, it won't matter how the spacing runs, I'll trim it out as I go.

One thing that was extremely notable, the locating boss was much thicker than the dropout, so I had to grind it down to less than half of it's original thickness. When I finally got the fit right, it works flawlessly. It sits a little forward of the rear cogs, unusually forward.. It's a little bit more work to remove and re-install the rear tire, but the axle seats completely in the dropouts. That makes it a much more solid axle mount. Once I got the derailleur fit worked out, and a QR nut ground down to fit (I even left a tab when I ground it down so it won't spin in the derailleur mount socket) All of the problems more or less disappeared and it went smooth as butter.

The second most notable thing, the derailleur cable attachment is between the derailleur and the wheel. Not real friendly to fit. I'm going to have to get back into it and take up a little cable slack, after adjusting the high and low stops, I had a little bit of excess cable. Maybe the cable housing wasn't seated when I tightened it, I dunno.. But it shifts effortlessly through the entire range of gears, the QR is plenty to hold it all together.

Third most notable, I had to adjust the brake pads to fit the new position of the rim with the axle fully seated.. which leads to the last most notable thing.

It sits a little lower. Noticeable, guessing it could be 1/2" lower than when the axle was sitting under the adapter bracket.

The derailleur is made for a 10mm axle, so it should work on most BBB's with angled dropouts. I have seen this derailleur used on a single speed horizontal dropout. It must have enough adjustment, or a configurable mount interface, so you can "clock" the mount, changing the position of locating boss, but none of that applied in my application.

So, Ya!
Angled dropouts,
10mm axle,
intended to mount to the end of a solid axle,
I modified it to fit a QR axle and a thin steel frame dropout.

Pics coming soon! I just need a decent dry day to ride.
Tomcat65

Return to Components