Parts and accessories for your bike
Forum rules
Stay on topic. Be courteous.

wheel set for v2100

Postby c_man7 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:24 pm

c_man7

Re: wheel set for v2100

Postby dddd » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:48 pm

The seller is not stating the rim's inside or outside width, which for me these days is a red flag for them probably being old-school narrow. So likely this is close-out inventory, except that there won't be many new, updated products to take their place since the 26" and rim-brake markets are becoming relegated to just old-bike replacements and and lowest-cost bbb's.

Narrow rims can be ok with the right tires, tubes and pressure, so I kept the super-narrow (road width) rims that came on my Schwinn Broadway hybrid and slapped 29x2.1" tires on.

One first thing to consider is that the tubes need to be quite-well wide enough for the tires you chose, since with narrow rims there is a more tension stress in the tube as inflation begins and the tube must then expand down into the rim's narrow center channel between the tire's beads. Wider tubes help prevent tube ruptures that occur with wide tires on narrow rims (usually adjacent to the valve stem reinforcement as the thicker rubber won't easily bend and pass between the tire beads.

It's worse with wider tires because a narrower tube first tries to inflate perfectly round, so really pins itself against the inside of the tire even before the tube must next drag itself around a sharper corner between the flared-out sidewall and the wall of the much-narrower rim. I use wider tubes and tug on the valve stem as I add the first few psi to a wide tire mounted on a narrow rim, to assist the valve stem reinforcement to drop fully into the rim channel before higher pressure pins the tube against the inside of the tire.
dddd

Postby Falkon45 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:49 am

I have a set of these in 29". They're about 1.5" wide. They're not that old a wheel.
Falkon45

Postby bojan v » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:13 pm

Just realized this is almost year old post
bojan v

Return to Components