RST Fork Seals

Parts and accessories for your bike
Forum rules
Stay on topic. Be courteous.

RST Fork Seals

Postby FORB » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:16 pm

I have an RST CT COM I-T6(6) ('06 ish) threaded steerer suspension fork that I'm going to put on my '98 Specialized Hardrock Sport commuter I built up last summer. I originally installed an RST Omega threadless suspension fork but it has way too much travel for a pavement built bike plus lacks certain mounts for fenders, etc. while the CT-COM is much more ideal for this bike. I've been trying to source new rubber fork seals as the originals are cracked and split and I'm going to overhaul the fork anyway while I paint it. I'll be using the Omega for another project bike more suited for that fork so I won't cannibalize it (already painted it up nice). The RST website doesn't seem to help me find what I need, nor does Google. Hoping somebody could steer me toward a direction to where I can find some parts for these forks, which I scored for a good deal (free off a couple broken bikes). I know these forks are bottom feeders but are a major improvement from the pogo sticks so I'm using what I got until I can upgrade from them.
FORB

Re: RST Fork Seals

Postby dddd » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:41 pm

Good luck with finding any replacement parts for that RST OEM fork with what looks like 1" stanchions!
BTW, I find that 1" upper tubes aren't much of a problem when there is no disc caliper trying to steer the front wheel to the left whenever the front brake is applied.

How bad are the seals? Still in one piece?

I knew that the seals in my (similar but even cheaper) Suntour hybrid fork were toast, but I rebuilt the fork anyway and just added some rubber boots/bellows to keep dirt and the elements from contaminating it again. So even with the fork legs having been rusty, I have been getting plenty of miles in on these forks, still working smooth! Too bad that the rubber boots aren't usually made available for specific applications any more, but I use what I can come up with off of discarded forks and from old stock that is clearanced, discarded or sold off on Ebay for probably less than what a set of seals would cost.

Before-to-After:

dddd

Re: RST Fork Seals

Postby FORB » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:07 pm

The seals are still in one piece but cracking around the outside. I'll probably go with some boots like you did, thanks.
FORB

Return to Components