v2100 upgrade drivetrain

Parts and accessories for your bike
Forum rules
Stay on topic. Be courteous.

v2100 upgrade drivetrain

Postby c_man7 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:27 pm

I'm planning on upgrading the drivetrain of my genesis v2100.
From the looks of the drivetrain I dont see a brand on the cranks, the front derailer just says power, the rear derailer is shimano tourney, the shifters shimano revo, and I can't tell about the rear freewheel/cassette.
Anyway I'm thinking of upgrading to the shimano acera series
Shimano Acera Crankset 175mm M651 42/32/22
Shimano RD-M360 Acera SGS Rear Derailleur
Shimano ACERA FD-M360 Triple Front Derailleur
Shimano UN55 BB Square Taper Bottom Bracket (68x118mm)
Shimano Acera SL-M310 Rapid Fire Shifter 3x7 Speed Trigger Shift
For the rear I may just keep the stock freewheel till I can upgrade my rims.
First thing I orderer was mostly cosmetic parts and some lighter weight parts
Future:
Second order will be forks and headset
Third order will be this new drivetrain
Fourth order will be new brakes
c_man7

Re: v2100 upgrade drivetrain

Postby Tomcat65 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:16 pm

The crankset will be an immediate improvement, the lower tooth count 42t chainring will make your high gear more useful. The 22t chainring will make hill climbing a LOT easier than the standard 28.

The trigger shift is awesome. I like the separate shifter/brake lever set-up. The combination sets don't offer much adjustment, and I like one finger braking for the most part. But as far as grip shifters go, Revo is about the best affordable set you'll find.

The stock freewheel should work fine with everything you have listed, and it will all be an improvement. The least noticeable improvement on your list will probably be the rear derailleur, unless the one you have now is worn or damaged. A properly tuned Tourney is a pretty good derailleur, especially in 7 speed.. You might consider your future plans, if you plan to go 9 or 10 speed later on, that would be where I would start my plan. A 9 speed derailleur will work with a 7 speed drivetrain, but when you go 10 speed, the shifters get complicated and single purpose.
Just something to think about..
Tomcat65

Postby c_man7 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:13 am

I was looking to order my drivetrain today when I noticed the cranks had spindle length higher then the spindle of the bottom bracket.
Shimano Altus had 123mm
Shimano Acera had 122.5
Shimano UN-26 has 68x117.5 or UN-55 68x118

The next sizes up are 122.5 127.5

How do I know which bb to get I was leaning more towards the altus but now I dont see a 123mm in the UN-26 or UN-55.
Do I get the 118mm I see alot of people post or move up to the 122.5
c_man7

Postby dddd » Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:16 pm

Most bbb's can benefit from a slightly shorter bottom bracket spindle and still have clearance for the chairings and still put the chainrings within the front derailer's happy range of movement.

The 118mm spindle is only 2mm shorter on each end than a 122mm spindle, so it's a small change that requires only a very small readjustment to the front derailer cable and limit screws.

If the installed bottom bracket comes up too short, it can be lengthened by up to 3mm (on the drive side) by using a "fixed cup spacer" of the minimum needed thickness.

Note also that most "triple-ring-length" original OEM bb spindles are a couple of millimeters longer on the drive-side end, but sometimes (like on the Huffy TR745) that is reversed!
The replacement bb's (even the longer ones) are almost always symmetrical with both spindle end lengths being identical.

So measure the original spindle and observe any such "offset" before deciding on a replacement bb cartridge. And look to see how the front derailer's limit screws were adjusted to work with the original crank's chainring placement, since there may be a lot more range available to one side or the other of the original settings (and a happy rider needs a happy front derailer).

I keep a box of different length (new, used, and worn-out) cartridge bb's for test-fitting purposes, the test-fit tells the story like it is!
dddd

Return to Components