Bit confused on the purchase of new derailleurs

Parts and accessories for your bike
Forum rules
Stay on topic. Be courteous.

Bit confused on the purchase of new derailleurs

Postby evilclown312 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:14 pm

I picked up a few months back a genesis 27.5er RCT from the local walmart. Put some pretty decent mileage on it thus far and really enjoying it. Would love to get my derailleurs upgraded but it seems as if finding some advertised as a 3x7 system is impossible. Can i use ones rated for speeds close that, such as 3x8 or 3x9?

Why are all the 3x front's not the same? Or are they?

Any input is appreciated. Really wanted to pick up some shimano XT's or something.
evilclown312

Re: Bit confused on the purchase of new derailleurs

Postby Tomcat65 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:50 pm

You can use up to 9 speed derailleurs on a 5,6,7,8, and 9 speed drivetrain. At 10 speed, things change for derailleur pull ratios.
Shifters are more specific.
5 and 6 speed shifters work either or..
7 speed shifters work with 6,7,8 speed
8 speed shifters work on some 6, 7, and 8 speed
9 speed shifters only work with 9 speed

I've noticed that changing the side of the cable clamp bolt can affect the way a rear derailleur shifts. Hook it up the way your instructions show, then if it's not adjusting out right, you might switch sides of the bolt. Sometimes, it makes it worse lol..

On a side note, not many Shimano and SRAM shifters work with the other brand derailleur. Pull ratios are different between the brands in the SRAM mid to upper end products. But 90% of the time, BBB's have Shimano or compatible driveline parts.
3x front derailleurs are harder and more time consuming to set up than rear derailleurs. A 3x shifter with a 2 click shift can trim a noisy chain most of the time, but with triggers, there is no trim.. So for me, a screwdriver can tweak a 10 speed derailleur wide enough to run a 9 speed chain and cassette without chain chatter and drag. Or at least, Ya! it works for me. It seems to me that a 10 speed front derailleur is a little bit narrow compared to 7 to 9 speed derailleurs
Shimano XT is leaning more 10 and 11 speed all the time. Consider Deore and SLX, They're plenty high quality for most of the riding you'll do on an RCT. A full suspension downhill bike is where XT and Saint shine.. I've seen plenty of XT on cross country bikes too though, Some XT is very lightweight.
Tomcat65

Return to Components