Huffy Quick Change Inner Tubes

Parts and accessories for your bike
Forum rules
Stay on topic. Be courteous.

Huffy Quick Change Inner Tubes

Postby rudiger » Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:21 am

Just saw these in the store. They're inner tubes that can be installed without removing the wheel. The way they work is there's a split in the tube that's sealed on both ends, and the ends have male/female connectors that mate once the tube is inside the tire. There's a Youtube video which demonstrates the installation process. I guess they're designed to be permanent once installed. The main selling point seems to be that they can be installed in half the time needed for a regular inner tube replacement which I guess would be handy if you're in a hurry.

Frankly, though, with quick-release hubs, I can't see them being all that great of an innovation. Maybe on the rear tire without a QR hub it'd be a significant time saver on the road/trail. But I really don't know if this is really a permanent replacement for a normal inner tube. Just seems like there's going to be some kind of issue down the road with an inner tube where the air doesn't circulate inside the entire circumference of the inner tube.

OTOH, since Huffy bikes are on the lowest end of the bicycle chain, which means few of them have QR hubs, maybe they'd be okay in that regard.
rudiger

Re: Huffy Quick Change Inner Tubes

Postby dddd » Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:27 pm

I have the Huffy TR-745 with the wide wheelset from my Hondo, and that has hex nuts instead of QR's holding both axles.

So when I get a flat I just put the bike upside down and pull the tube free without removing the wheel. I then locate the leak and patch the tube and re-fit the tire, then inflate and I'm off riding.
I try to remember to check along the inside of the tire while the tube is out and remove any thorn from my tire, LOL.
But usually it is a pinched-tube flat at the rear from hitting rocks when I run the pressure very low, then there are usually two cuts to patch up, carefully.
dddd

Return to Components