12 speed cassette? Sram XX1 and XO1 Eagle

Parts and accessories for your bike
Forum rules
Stay on topic. Be courteous.

12 speed cassette? Sram XX1 and XO1 Eagle

Postby Tomcat65 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:10 am

New from Sram for MTB, XX1 and XO1 Eagle 1x12 speed group. New 10-50 cassette, new shifter, crankset, derailleurs and even the chain set is new lol.. Lots of carbon fiber and a price tag that makes it an elite setup .. for now. $1200.00 U.S.D. MSRP. It's supposed to compare closely in ratios with the Shimano 2x10 and 11 groups without a front mech. Sram is supposedly wanting to steer the entire MTB line to 1x with wide range cassettes.

Bike Radar has a great first impression video posted
https://youtu.be/gGycLGpEsdg

For a 12 speed, it's still very light in the XX1 version, and even in the XO1 version, it's comparable to other high quality groups.

My question is, how much damage could a 50 tooth cassette do to an aluminum body freehub? Mods like this almost always require a related upgrade somewhere. And, to add this to a BBB, to me, would be entirely overkill. The gear could retail for 4 times what I paid for my Schwinn Ascension lol... Fact, with all of the mods I've done on my Ascension, I still don't have $1200 invested.

Looking at it though, my impression is that it will be best suited for 29'ers and 27.5+ bikes, maybe fatbikes, because the rear derailleur is so long, it doesn't leave much room under lower jockey wheel. By the time you drop the rear mech low enough to clear the pizza pan sized 50 tooth gear, Plus the extended length arm (designed to take up the difference in the 10-50 cassette) the rear jockey wheel is going to be riding very low as you shift somewhere in those gears. And, as with 10 and 11 speed derailleurs and cassettes, this entire group is exclusively specific to this setup. There will be no mix and matching from other groupsets, even the chain and chainring are calibrated to match. The chainring having a specific grind and width, and the chain having an all new flush pin design. This set has Elitist snobbery written all over it. And I want one too! lol :D
Tomcat65

Re: 12 speed cassette? Sram XX1 and XO1 Eagle

Postby Tomcat65 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:51 am

Sram's ad on youtube

https://youtu.be/pEjlJYblcao
Tomcat65

Postby Falkon45 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:47 pm

Dood!!!! I wish I could but this for the striking!
Falkon45

Postby neo71665 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:21 pm

I like it but the exotic materials and price doesn't make me wet my pants. Make it out of some common materials (preferably aluminum) and drop the price I'd be interested.
neo71665

Postby Tomcat65 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:23 pm

Agreed! And Ya! It would be perfect to make the Striking more of an enduro flavored rig.

I think I'll stick with working toward a 10 or 11 speed with the big 42t cassette, but my 2x setup with the 34t rear is working pretty good right now. I'm not climbing mountains, but my part of Kentucky still has really steep climbs..
Tomcat65

Postby bikesRfun » Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:21 am

I have several bikes from 3/7 to 2/10. I've ridden a few 1/11. My favorite is 2/10.
bikesRfun

Postby bikesRfun » Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:29 am

My friend just got a 1/12 drivtrain on his mtn 29er. Total bike weight with pedals is 19.4 lbs.
bikesRfun

Postby dddd » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:36 am

neo71665 wrote:I like it but the exotic materials and price doesn't make me wet my pants. Make it out of some common materials (preferably aluminum) and drop the price I'd be interested.

It's still not cheap enough for me, but finally as expected there is a new, much-cheaper GX version of this gruppo that they just rolled out. I find the previous GX 11s gruppo online for only $435 complete with 1x crankset, so maybe after six months the 12-sp version will cost near to that much.

http://www.bikemag.com/gear/components/ ... rivetrain/

These 12s SRAM cassettes require a rear wheel hub with the XD driver, so Shimano-style freehubs won't accept it. This allows the 10t sprocket to fit however.
dddd

Postby Tomcat65 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:47 pm

At $435.00 I'll still stick with my 2x9 set-up and if it ever breaks, I'll consider again. But 2x9 seems near bullet-proof.

That big ring on the back is tempting from a single front ring point of view, but such a large ring on the back must really stress the hub. A lot of leverage there, but maybe no more than the smaller rings with a 22t chainring up front.. Exploding hubs can't be good, and the spider that holds that 50t cassette ring must be strong as anything on the bike. The XD driver hub must have a stout internal ratchet. I wonder how many links of chain you'd have to move backwards on that 50t gear before the cogs click grab a new bite inside that hub? That alone could make slow technical riding a bit more difficult when the rocks and ruts get deep..
Tomcat65

Postby dddd » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:50 pm

The issues that you mentioned (except about how the cassette structure might hold up) are only dependent on the actual gear ratio range, which is no larger than with older 2x10's or 3x9's.

But the peak chain tension is more limited by the single front sprocket's size, so maximum stress on the hub, frame, chain, bb, crank (and even the cassette) is lower than with component groups that use smaller chainrings.
In other words, torque at the hub should the same for any riding speed and rider effort, but the chain will never pull as hard as when say a 22t chainring is engaged, so the stress on the rear hub's axle and bearings can never be as high as when a 22t chainring is used.

This should all add up to weight savings I would think, or at least the potential for lower overall bike weight at any given manufacturing cost, as compared to a traditional 2x or 3x drivetrain.

Another advantage of the 1x approach would be log-hopping clearance for the chainring. This Eagle 12s group takes the 1x thing to it's limits, and I've heard that the chain derails to a smaller cog if you pedal backward while using the largest cog..
dddd

Return to Components