Suntour Forks...!!! i'm So confused

Parts and accessories for your bike
Forum rules
Stay on topic. Be courteous.

Suntour Forks...!!! i'm So confused

Postby Shooter_G22 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:33 am

Ok, people.... What The Hell...??? im sOooo confused when it comes to Suntour forks... XC, XCR, XCT, XCM, V2, V3, XC28something, HLO, and so on, and so on...

Can someone please explain this line of suspension forks from low, to high end... and whats the differance...
and price ranges...

or if someone has any information on these forks please post it..

i know it would probably be hard for one person to know everything about these forks... but any help would be apreciated...
Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.
-T.R.
Shooter_G22

Re: Subtour Forks...!!! i'm So confused

Postby emraiders81 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:19 pm

I stopped trying to get info on the suntour forks. So I went with a Rockshox xc30 tk. My brother has a xcm and xcr fork, and my Rockshox is by far lighter. XCM is manual lockout, XCR has remote lockout. Maybe not the info u wanted but its the info I got.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2
emraiders81

Re: Re: Subtour Forks...!!! i'm So confused

Postby bones72751 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:20 pm

Shooter_G22 wrote:Ok, people.... What The Hell...??? im sOooo confused when it comes to Suntour forks... XC, XCR, XCT, XCM, V2, V3, XC28something, HLO, and so on, and so on...

Can someone please explain this line of suspension forks from low, to high end... and whats the differance...
and price ranges...

or if someone has any information on these forks please post it..

i know it would probably be hard for one person to know everything about these forks... but any help would be apreciated...

Here's the best I got:

Lowest - highest end

M20(xx) series- basic suspension forks dept stores use on sub $200 bikes. Heavy pogo sticks. Better than the cheap steel forks on bikes like the xr75 and the zoom like on the deception, but still very basic.

XCC- not sure if its still made... basicallySame as above with 1 piece alloy lowers. No possible adjustment.

XCT- high end dept store/ entry level lbs bike series. Alloy lowers with adjustible preload and more travel, usually 80 or 100mm. Optional mechanical lockout

XCM- same as above with I believe bigger 30mm stanchions, 80 to 120mm travel, alloy lowers and available with speed/hydraulic lockout.

XCR- highest end XC series. Same as above with additions of Magnesium alloy lowers (lighter), adjustable preload and rebound, optional remote lockout.

Above that is their air forks which I know nothing about.

MLO= mechanical lockout
HLO= hydraulic lockout (speed lockout)
RLO= remote lockout

I don't know what the difference is between v1, v2, v3 and so on aside from some mostly aesthetic changes.

2010 Windsor Cliff 4500- viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2554
2012 Nishiki Colorado- GF's bike
2007 GT aggressor- WIP
2005 KHS FXT Trail- WIP
Polaris Rush 29er- WIP

Visit our store- http://www.cafepress.com/bigboxbikes
bones72751

Re: Suntour Forks...!!! i'm So confused

Postby Shooter_G22 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:55 pm

thank you...

this really clears up alot... i had no idea what everything ment... but this makes a little sense now...

i really been pondering what fork to go with... i need to upgrade my Tech 4.. and my Deception... and i was looking at Suntour as an affordable option...

however i realy wish they were not as heavy as they are... i have yet to see a suntour fork under 5lbs... what is an exceptional weight for a fork and what could i get under $200.00 i would really like to be at about $100.00 since i only give $100.00 on the Deception and $80.00 for the Tech 4.... i'd hate to buy a Fork for more than what i give on the whole bike..!!!

if i could find a Fork at about 4 lbs with a lock out and preload & rebound adjustment at around $100.00 that would be great... but i dont think, that fork exsist @ $100.00 range...????
Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.
-T.R.
Shooter_G22

Re: Re: Suntour Forks...!!! i'm So confused

Postby bones72751 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:22 pm

Shooter_G22 wrote:thank you...

this really clears up alot... i had no idea what everything ment... but this makes a little sense now...

i really been pondering what fork to go with... i need to upgrade my Tech 4.. and my Deception... and i was looking at Suntour as an affordable option...

however i realy wish they were not as heavy as they are... i have yet to see a suntour fork under 5lbs... what is an exceptional weight for a fork and what could i get under $200.00 i would really like to be at about $100.00 since i only give $100.00 on the Deception and $80.00 for the Tech 4.... i'd hate to buy a Fork for more than what i give on the whole bike..!!!

if i could find a Fork at about 4 lbs with a lock out and preload & rebound adjustment at around $100.00 that would be great... but i dont think, that fork exsist @ $100.00 range...????

Yeah that's not going to happen unless you buy used. The tech4 will be cheaper being a 26er, probably add $30 for the deception. The best weight/value/performance coil spring fork you'll find new for under $200 is going to be a RockShox xc32. The 29er is just under $200. It's about 2200g. Lighter and cheaper for the 26er. The xcr is a good option with performance rivaling the xc28 RockShox.

I run the RockShox xc28 on my 29er and have absolutely no complaints.

2007 GT aggressor- WIP
2005 KHS FXT Trail- WIP
Polaris Rush 29er- WIP

bones72751

Postby Irishmongooserider » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:07 pm

Bones has it nailed on the low end Suntour forks listing them in order, but I'll just go ahead and continue since I'm a fan of Suntour, and even more so a Marzocchi fan...

Suntour, starting at the XC series and up:

XCT-basic forks that are sturdy for trail usage and mostly quite smooth, but uncontrolled with no dampening. Preload and mechanical lockout are the only adjustments. Both 26er and 29er models are available.

XCM-basically a slightly upgraded XCT with as Bones stated, slightly larger stanctions, and the added option of a hydraulic lockout on the very top model. 26er and 29er options, as well as 80/100/120mm travel models. Remote lockout is available.

XCR-A decent overall fork, with respectable dampening and a sturdy build with hydraulic lockout, preload, and rebound adjust. Remote lockout is also available. Weight is the only true issue with this fork, as I've personally had good luck with it.

Raidon-Many options are available for this fork, with full adjustability, multiple travel options and both 29er and 26er models.

Epicon-Lighter and more improved step up from the Raidon.

Axon-A dedicated xc fork, light and adjustable with the top models of this fork being high priced.

Durolux- A tough long travel fork that's still light enough to put on a bike that you actually pedal around.
My bikes: Mongoose Valiant, Tyax Elite, Switchback SS, Blackcomb, and the old DXR

Other: Origin8 Uno SS/fixie

See my YouTube vids @ https://www.youtube.com/user/mongoosejake
Irishmongooserider

Re: Re: Suntour Forks...!!! i'm So confused

Postby bones72751 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:23 pm

Irishmongooserider wrote:Bones has it nailed on the low end Suntour forks listing them in order, but I'll just go ahead and continue since I'm a fan of Suntour, and even more so a Marzocchi fan...

Suntour, starting at the XC series and up:

XCT-basic forks that are sturdy for trail usage and mostly quite smooth, but uncontrolled with no dampening. Preload and mechanical lockout are the only adjustments. Both 26er and 29er models are available.

XCM-basically a slightly upgraded XCT with as Bones stated, slightly larger stanctions, and the added option of a hydraulic lockout on the very top model. 26er and 29er options, as well as 80/100/120mm travel models. Remote lockout is available.

XCR-A decent overall fork, with respectable dampening and a sturdy build with hydraulic lockout, preload, and rebound adjust. Remote lockout is also available. Weight is the only true issue with this fork, as I've personally had good luck with it.

Raidon-Many options are available for this fork, with full adjustability, multiple travel options and both 29er and 26er models.

Epicon-Lighter and more improved step up from the Raidon.

Axon-A dedicated xc fork, light and adjustable with the top models of this fork being high priced.

Durolux- A tough long travel fork that's still light enough to put on a bike that you actually pedal around.

Gotta be a one-upper... Lol

2007 GT aggressor- WIP
2005 KHS FXT Trail- WIP
Polaris Rush 29er- WIP

bones72751

Postby Shooter_G22 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:24 pm

No this is good... thank you very much both of you's

Now i think i got it... if i only knew what the V1,V2,V3 was i think that would cover it all... :lol:

i was looking at several Suntour forks and i was sOoo confussed and was sceptical of what to bid on, on ebay... now that i got a general idea, i can give a more confedant bid...

i dont do any Down hill..

and i still dont know what XC, or freeride, mean...

Most of my riding is done on D.O.R.B.A Trails... and that suits me well... its lots of fun and i have a great time on them... im out of shape as it is so the small climbs that i get form these little hills is good enough for me... and i they got me huff'n and puff'n enough as it is and, i have fun going throuhg the small creeks and creek beds with some small jumps and drops here and there, and even the occasional man made obsticals and ramps, and/or what i call rollercoster's

my main concern with suspension is my weight... im a big guy, and heavy set, always have been heavy, even the 8yrs i was in the Marine Corps i had to get a 20-30 lb wieght waiver, and that was with less than 10% body fat.. and i was still 25-30lbs over wieght standards, an anchor i was called... even though i could swim like a fish... my DI's in Bootcamp yelled at me when i made first class swimmer, and told me that, why did i just make first class..?? they made me repeat over and over that i was an Anchor, and that becuase of my bone mass was supposed to sink to the bottem of the tank...lol... i can still swim like a fish...
in fact i SCUBA as much as i can get a chance to..!

for this weight reason... i feel that i need a good shock with lots of adjustment, when i do get one i know i'm going to need help setting it up...
-T.R.
Shooter_G22

Postby BigPoppaP » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:38 pm

It isn't the amount of adjustment as much as ensuring it has the appropriate spring rate or air level if you go that route. Once you have the appropriate amount of force from the spring or air the adjustments are for comfort and performance to control the amount of pogo and absorption they do.
BigPoppaP

Postby Shooter_G22 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:17 pm

Well,
i'm about 5'10 - 5'11 close to 300 lbs so i know i need to drop some weight... but i'm a natural 240#er in shape... i know that sounds really heavy but when i was in the Corps i was about 205-207 with about 8-9% body fat... and that was with me starving myself and constantly working out...

there is no way i can be in at that weight again, unless i became a profesional athlete and trained 12-14 hrs a day...

my civilian great shap wieght is about 225 solid at about 12-14% bodyfat and my good to go wieght is at about 235-245 and that is where i am most comfortable at... that is where i feel grat and strong and i dont have to diet and/or starve myself and as long as i stay active im good and i dont feel to slugish...

now the reason im sOooo heavy now,... and at the heaviest i have ever been is... i got married 3yrs ago and we had our first child, that is 2yrs old this month, and i came to a complete stop of doing all the extra things i have always done... stoped the hiking, biking, climbing and everything else i always did on my spare time to spend it with my wife and daughter...

i almost lost both when my daughter was born 2 1/2months premature and they both stayed in the hospital almost a whole month my wife was ICU for 21days and my daughter for 29 days... and after that i stayed at home doing everything i could for my girls....

and i put on the weight...
man did i put on the weight...!!! lol... it took me about 2yrs to get this big... so i know it'l take me a while to get back down to my natural size of 230-240...

in the mean time i need to figure out what suspension to go with for ehere im at... even as heavy as i am i still hitting the trails and doing ok... alot harder but still hacking it...!!!
-T.R.
Shooter_G22

Next

Return to Components