Suntour Forks...!!! i'm So confused

Parts and accessories for your bike
Forum rules
Stay on topic. Be courteous.

Re: Suntour Forks...!!! i'm So confused

Postby BigPoppaP » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:33 pm

I am still in and with my back injury packed on a few pounds myself. I am sure you can drop the weight once you get things settled. I am glad the wife and child came out okay, my first was premature and my wife had complications with all but one of our children. As for the suspension I recommend you look at the suggested weight allowance and consider talking to a couple of the customer support lines. I have seen plenty of bigger guys on here talking about their air shocks and how they were the best thing for them. You could also talk to a local bike shop about the best fork for someone your size and within your price range.
BigPoppaP

Postby Irishmongooserider » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:52 pm

Honestly, for the best result for a higher body weight, I'd recommend going up in travel slightly (say go to a 120mm fork if you currently have a 100mm model, or go to a 100mm model if your current fork is 80mm etc...) and use a coil fork that has compression adjustablility. You can firm the fork to prevent bottoming with a good compression adjustment, while a coil is very durable long term for a heavier rider. Air is fine fork higher body weights, but expect to redo the seals sooner. With a coil fork, you also can buy an extra firm spring if needed for many forks. That's the route I'd go for anyone over say 250, so that you have the best long term reliability.
My bikes: Mongoose Valiant, Tyax Elite, Switchback SS, Blackcomb, and the old DXR

Other: Origin8 Uno SS/fixie

See my YouTube vids @ https://www.youtube.com/user/mongoosejake
Irishmongooserider

Postby Shooter_G22 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:20 pm

Irishmongooserider wrote:Honestly, for the best result for a higher body weight, I'd recommend going up in travel slightly (say go to a 120mm fork if you currently have a 100mm model, or go to a 100mm model if your current fork is 80mm etc...) and use a coil fork that has compression adjustablility. You can firm the fork to prevent bottoming with a good compression adjustment, while a coil is very durable long term for a heavier rider. Air is fine fork higher body weights, but expect to redo the seals sooner. With a coil fork, you also can buy an extra firm spring if needed for many forks. That's the route I'd go for anyone over say 250, so that you have the best long term reliability.

this makes alot of sense to me... i would love to buy and use an air fork... but at my weight... i always thought that i might do better with a coil fork... and its easier to maintian as well right..???

ok so what would you suggest for a fork for me... i was thinking the Suntours with a MLO would be best... but then again what is a Hydrolic LO..??? and what models have this and would this be better....

i need to upgrade my Deception with a better shock... the one it has on it now is trash... and it actually wears into my wrist on the real bumpy trails i ride... it would probably be better with just a rigid fork... i've almost come close to stripping it and welding the damn fork into a rigid... but i have decieded not to do this... and just upgrade this bike first since it is the bike i am ridding at the moment on the trails.. i'm riding it stock... so far... have not changed anything on it... but i do have a few rear derailers to chose form to start on that but still debating on the crank and i know i need to upgrade the forks and i want to swtich to a shimano trigger shifters... dont like the sram... and i am more of a shimano type person... i dont know i guess i'm old shool like that...
i cant really get into the sram line...
debating what crank for the deception...

and need to know what Fork... ASAP.. i'm looking at getting a fork in the next week or so..!!!
Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.
-T.R.
Shooter_G22

Postby Irishmongooserider » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:46 pm

If you're going to go with a Suntour fork, I'd really recommend the Raidon. It's a great fork, especially for the money, even if it's a bit more than some that have been mentioned. If the Raidon is out of reach, the XCR is fine as well. It's a bit heavy, but durable and has a noticeable compression lockout that can also be used in a progressive manner to simply firm up the fork so it doesn't dive too much and blow through its travel (I personally crank a little compression up for downhills on mine so the bike rides with the front a little higher).

The Rockshox XC30 or XC32 would also be good choices as many riders have had great experiences with them.

If it's a tough durable fork you're after, look for a sale on a Marzocchi 44. That's my personal favorite trailbike fork, with the Suntour Epicon being second (the Epicon is a step up from the Raidon) for me.
My bikes: Mongoose Valiant, Tyax Elite, Switchback SS, Blackcomb, and the old DXR

Irishmongooserider

Postby Shooter_G22 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:56 am

Thank you all for the info and advise...

I have really learned a lot and have been trying to absorb as much knowledge as possible, thanks to this site I think I have made some good choices...

@ Irish... thanks for the advise on the Raidon... i was up last night looking at them on Ebay and had narrowed it down to a Raidon fork (that was around $180shipped) and an XCR LO ($129.99 + $20.00 shipping) that would have been $150.00 to my door...

BUT WAIT... i found a:

- SR SUNTOUR EPICON XC TAD 15QLC 26'
that was listed at $200.00 or best offer (with free shipping)...
sOooo sleepy and tired and not really thinking straight, i went ahead and submitted a best offer of $150.00 and it instantly accepted the Offer.. so i won that offer, and I got a
- SR SUNTOUR EPICON XC TAD 15QLC 26' for $150.00 with free shipping... this is a new fork...

i hope this is a good deal... I’m not sure about this fork...
i mean it has a remote LO so i don’t even know how to use this or if this a good thing or not... and it has a
15 QLC i have no idea how that works...
I am wondering if I’m going to need to buy a special front wheel for this fork…???
Not to much of a big deal since I have yet to buy a wheel set for the Tech 4...

Actually that is all I really needed for the Dirtech is a wheel set & saddle…. Lol..!!!
And actually all I really needed is a Front wheel, and saddle…
BUT…
I decided that I would upgrade it, before I start riding it… considering this is an almost new frame.. I wanted to upgrade it all, or buy piece by piece and wait until I had everything and then build up the bike all at once so then its like a brand New bike…!!!
And since i have the Deception (stock no upgrades) to ride for now... i figured i'd just ride the Deception as is until i finish the Dirtech build and/or even the XR-250 rebuild and then maybe this winter i can upgrade/rebuild the Deception...

So… here I am with the with another question what the heck is 15QLC I know it has to do with the Axle being 15mm right..??? But how does that work on the wheel set..???
And do i have to buy a special wheelset for it to work...?
Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.
-T.R.
Shooter_G22

Postby cloud8a » Fri May 03, 2013 12:49 pm

How much do the Element forks weigh? Looking at a Rock Shox xc32 on ebay and it is saying the weight is 2193 grams which is almost 5 pnds.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. -HST
cloud8a

Suntour Forks...!!! i'm So confused

Postby BoomerBrian » Fri May 03, 2013 5:31 pm

Element is probably 6lbs or close to it.

My Vodoo zombie rigid fork is 3lbs. Another option if you want to save some $$$

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
BoomerBrian

Postby Irishmongooserider » Fri May 03, 2013 7:20 pm

The 15mm axle requires both the fork and front wheel to be 15mm through axle compatable. This adds strength and stiffness, and in turn better handling due to the less flex in the front end. You do have to be sure to buy both a 15 axle fork and front wheel...

Irishmongooserider

Postby Shooter_G22 » Mon May 06, 2013 3:09 pm

Yup, the Epicon fork is nice... i have not installed yet, but i have them sitting in the corner with the other parts i'm collecting for some of the Upgrades/builds i have planned...
i was able to score a set of Alex rims with Marin hubs w/the 15mm front axle hub...!!! (off of Ebay) i dont know how good those are but i was able to get'em at a good price including shipping sOoo i'm Happy bout that :D

i've been biddin on those rims like crazy and always getting out bid... Man its some work trying to score Good Ebay deals..!!!

i really want to learn how to build wheels eventually, but that is subj for a differant thread... :lol:

as for the Epicons i really like them they are nice and light and look really cool... i dont know how to use them or install them but i will learn when its time to put em' on...

they have alot of adjustments and even a remote thingy on it... i wonder how thats going to work out... i think i would probably rather have a manuel lock-out especially if they were a progressive lockout like the ones on Irishmongooser's video..!!!

i dont know maybe the remote will work out... i wonder what is better having a remote LO or a Manuel LO
-T.R.
Shooter_G22

Postby HunterRoman » Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:18 am

I was also really confused with all of this. I can't explain this, because I have no idea... What I am actually doing now is that I'm trying to compose an essay - a sample could be found at http://puressay.com/blog/essay-on-nutrition. I'll be following this thread!
HunterRoman

PreviousNext

Return to Components