BBB Disc Brake Variance?

Parts and accessories for your bike
Forum rules
Stay on topic. Be courteous.

BBB Disc Brake Variance?

Postby rudiger » Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:26 pm

There seems to be two styles of disc brake calipers used on BBBs (Schwinn). One has a solid top while the second is open and the pads can be seen. Is one better than the otber? It seems like it would be more difficult to change the pads on the solid design.
rudiger

Re: BBB Disc Brake Variance?

Postby Tomcat65 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:00 pm

There are more than 2 types of disc brake calipers used on BBB's. The Deceptions had a Promax design with a big red adjustment knob on the back, some are more like a Tektro knock off. Lately, I've been seeing more of the mechanical calipers that use the square Shimano style pads.. But a closed top caliper doesn't sound familiar, but I never claimed to have seen it all lol...
Post a pic and show us what you've got, maybe there are a lot of those around and opinions are always bound to pop up :P
Tomcat65

Postby rudiger » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:01 am

I couldn't resize my photo to fit the website.

But I may have figured out an answer. I wonder if the style of caliper I have uses smaller, round-style brake pads, whereas the 'open back' caliper uses a larger, rectangular pad. Don't know how that affects performance, but I do know the pads come in different shapes.
rudiger

Postby dddd » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:48 pm

Many of the bbb's I've worked on used the round pads where you have to remove the wheel and disk in order to pull the pads out.
Sometimes there is only a magnet on/in each side to retain the pads with the wheel off.

I would be unhappy with any caliper that prevented me from viewing the gap on either side of the disk, which makes it possible to align the pads to the disk and center the pads over the disk. I would be nearly helpless if I couldn't look down through the caliper, I guess I would have to rely on just seeing the way that the disc deflected when the lever was pulled, in order to get the caliper aligned over the disc.
Ideally, the disc should deflect only minimally toward the stationary-side pad, which gives the brakes the most solid feel that can be achieved once the cabling has been shortened up as needed and with proper lubrication.

Right out of the store (or out of the box), most bbb's brakes are set up so poorly that they have real issues, the cables are too long and the caliper isn't aligned properly with the disk, so the lever may come all the way to the grip, or the pads may rub against the disc all of the time.

One more thing that I learned is that the small round pads aren't happy with all of the different style rotors out there, some will cause unbelievable noise, like the classic wavy-looking SRAM rotor with lots of small drill holes, it was a no-go since the noise wouldn't go away even after much break-in with me wearing ear plugs! Sorry to all of the other trail users on those days, my bad!
dddd

Postby rudiger » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:59 am

It's certainly possible to view the gap between the pads and disc but, like I said, the 'back' of the caliper is solid, where others seem to have an open back. I guess you could see the alignment from two different views with the open back calipers, where I only get one look.

Most of the BBB calipers I've seen have the open back (and, I'm guessing, larger rectangular pads), it looks like a few of them use the solid back caliper like mine. Besides being solid, it seems smaller, too, which is why I'm guessing the solid back calipers use the round pads.

Although I get some pulsating when stopping, there's very little squealing. I went ahead and removed the front wheel and pads to take a look. Lightly sanded off the pads a bit and resintalled everything. From what I can gather, the pulsating is caused by a slight warpage of the front disc. I can see it while turning the wheel and the disc moves slightly from side to side.

While I'd like to have the larger rectangular pads, I guess the smaller, round pads are fine for the relatively light duty they're going to see.
rudiger

Postby dddd » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:34 pm

In my experience, the slight side-to-side warp movement of the disc between the pads will never have any effect on the feel at the lever or the braking smoothness.
What you feel could be either a variation of thickness defect in the rotor (my Huffy TR-745 discs were unusably bad in this regard), but more likely is the interaction of the pad's size/shape with the rotor's cutout pattern and/or "wave" profile of the OD and ID of the disc's actual braking surface. Usually the pad interaction issue is more of a mild "hum" that is heard and felt, while any variation of rotor thickness causes surging of the brake force with each full rotation of the wheel.
Even with a bike's stock disc/rotor and pads, I sometimes get the buzz or hum that can come and go on different days, it's not a problem, but discs should be visually inspected for cracks and/or thinning, replacements are cheap!
dddd

Postby rudiger » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:07 pm

dddd wrote:In my experience, the slight side-to-side warp movement of the disc between the pads will never have any effect on the feel at the lever or the braking smoothness.
What you feel could be either a variation of thickness defect in the rotor (my Huffy TR-745 discs were unusably bad in this regard), but more likely is the interaction of the pad's size/shape with the rotor's cutout pattern and/or "wave" profile of the OD and ID of the disc's actual braking surface. Usually the pad interaction issue is more of a mild "hum" that is heard and felt, while any variation of rotor thickness causes surging of the brake force with each full rotation of the wheel.
Even with a bike's stock disc/rotor and pads, I sometimes get the buzz or hum that can come and go on different days, it's not a problem, but discs should be visually inspected for cracks and/or thinning, replacements are cheap!

That's interesting on the pulsating being due to the mating of certain disc patterns with specific styles of pads. I wonder if it's a result of the company matching up discs that would normally be used with rectangular pads, with round pads, instead. It would go a long way to explaining what I'm experiencing.

In fact, after closer inspection, the disc is slightly discolored around the edge. Of course, the edge is not perfectly round but has waves. So, yeah, that sounds like it could be the cause.
rudiger

Postby metalman302 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:38 pm

I have the Huffy TR745. How do I know what replacement pads to order?
metalman302

Postby rudiger » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:05 pm

metalman302 wrote:I have the Huffy TR745. How do I know what replacement pads to order?
The most conclusive way is to remove the front wheel to access the pads themselves. If they have the solid back calipers (like mine), they're most likely the el cheapo round pads. As mentioned in previous comments, they're held in place by magnets and at least they're easy to remove.

The larger, rectangular pads are held in place by a small pin that has to be removed. The also have an open back.
rudiger

Postby bikesRfun » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:17 am

Could you post a picture of the open back type?
I don't think I've seen that type.
bikesRfun

Return to Components