Forum rules
Be polite and courteous!

Exercises for Better Pedaling Technique

Postby squire366 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:18 am

Mongoose Deception
squire366

Re: Exercises for Better Pedaling Technique

Postby wa_desert_rat » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:38 am

Expect to see T-mobile team lose a lot of races if they buy into this entire scheme. Moving the leg back and forth with the hip is much less forceful than moving the lower leg back at the knee. No mention made of using calf muscles to move the pedal through the bottom-dead-center and top-dead-center portions of the stroke.

Having said all that, I agree that exercises are important. Just not for the reasons they claim.

I noticed that in the last world championship time trials in Copenhagen last year's winner, Fabian Cancelara, was rocking his hips a lot. I wonder if he was trying this hip-extension movement. If so, it didn't work for him that well... he finished third (after winning the last 3 in a row).
WDR
http://www.bigboxbikes.com
"No one has ever had to evacuate a city because the solar ;panels broke!"
wa_desert_rat

Re: Exercises for Better Pedaling Technique

Postby squire366 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:18 pm

wa_desert_rat wrote:Expect to see T-mobile team lose a lot of races if they buy into this entire scheme. Moving the leg back and forth with the hip is much less forceful than moving the lower leg back at the knee. No mention made of using calf muscles to move the pedal through the bottom-dead-center and top-dead-center portions of the stroke.

Having said all that, I agree that exercises are important. Just not for the reasons they claim.

I noticed that in the last world championship time trials in Copenhagen last year's winner, Fabian Cancelara, was rocking his hips a lot. I wonder if he was trying this hip-extension movement. If so, it didn't work for him that well... he finished third (after winning the last 3 in a row).

Yeah......I was kind of looking at the whole video sideways because what the guy was saying wasn't really making a whole lot of sense to me. I will start working on those exercises though.
Mongoose Deception
squire366

Return to MTB Riding Technique