question: dressing for fall on a big box budget/style sense

Techniques for riding mountain bikes.
Forum rules
Be polite and courteous!

question: dressing for fall on a big box budget/style sense

Postby partykingwes » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:26 am

its middle October and the Indian summer on the East coast has just given way to the chilled air that follows a nor'easter (light one as it was), and my question for all of you is: how do you gear up as the temperature falls to keep riding comfortable?

i found this guide online. there's two problems with it. first, the gear they're talking about looks pretty expensive. second, the gear they're talking about has road cyclist fashion sense - a fashion sense i respect but ultimately one I (and likely many of us) don't share.

so what do you guys do?

http://www.bicycling.com/training-nutri ... ld-weather
partykingwes

Re: question: dressing for fall on a big box budget/style se

Postby steady eddie » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:53 am

wes--

WELCOME!!

I am an old school roadie, and have been riding since I was six years old. I am now 68 years young, so take my advise FWIW, ok??

I live in the rainy PNW, and it does rain here. My usual attire consists of Cotton underwear with Wool outerwear. I wear "Pendleton" single layer wool, plaid, long-sleeved shirts. Wool has the ability to be wet (soaked even) and still keep you warm. These days I am on a fixed income, so I must be careful with my money. I look for wool goods at garage sales, and thrift stores. Also, for wool pants, I will go to a Military Surplus store, like Andy and Bax in Portland, Oregon.
Steady Eddie

"If you buy a stock bike, do something to it that makes it the only one exactly like it in the world"...Grant Petersen
steady eddie

Postby desertguns » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:54 am

I generally like to clash with traditional fall colors & go with a saffron and light fuchsia embroidered party saree intricate with resham thread, sequins, keri work, leaf work, patch work, floral print, leaf print, rectangular print and patch patti border work. The sequins can be a bit much but I can pull it off. Best of all it comes with an unstitched blouse piece which can be customized as per your riding requirement. I round out the ensemble with desert camo combat boots. Hope this helps! :P
desertguns

Postby wa_desert_rat » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:57 am

Interesting thread. I don't much care if I'm stylish, either. I do agree with the article's points about layering.

I wear half-gloves (open fingers) with gel palms right down to the end of my comfort zone (under about 45F). I often ride in jeans when it's the 60s; even the upper 60s. I make use of poly-pro underwear and buy most of the stuff I use at either Walmart or Big 5. If I cycled in weather down into the 30s I think I'd use Goretex over-mittens and the same half-gloves. The over-mittens are very light in weight... and you can buy these with an index finger free (for hunters) if you use trigger shifters. They block the wind VERY well.

In the fall... for a few months... starting about now, actually, and ending some time in November... Walmart has "STARTER" poly underwear, both tops and bottoms, for sale at ridiculously low prices. I forget who turned me on to this brand (think it was on this forum, actually) but I got to my local store just at the end of the product being on sale (for a trip into the mtns) and bought a pair of lowers. These are terrific and would probably be acceptable as "leg warmers" at the price of $12 or $15 (as far as I can remember).

When it gets below 60 or if it looks like rain, I switch to Merino Wool socks. I discovered these about 5 years ago when I bought some from Campmor for cross-country skiing (which I switch to in the winter) and I really, really like them. They are soft, warm when wet, and comfortable. Wick perspiration out well, too.

I NEVER buy jerseys and feel that just a nice poly tee-shirt works fine. The only bicycle-specific articles I buy are shorts (not cargo - I just get regular cargo shorts), gloves, and helmets.

As a kayaker I have several articles of outerwear made from Goretex including a top and a full drysuit. I've been tempted to try those cycling and x/c skiing but have never bothered. For cycling I wear a "USA" team jacket I bought at Goodwill. I'm pretty sure it's not a real Olympics jacket, but it has a nylon shell, some insulation (but not much) and is relatively light in weight. I have been known to bicycle in my x/c ski parka which is supposed to wick moisture out while remaining water proof (but isn't Goretex). I bought this at Walmart for $37 and it's amazingly good.

Last February my wife and I got a chance to ride fatbikes on groomed x/c ski trails in Winthrop, WA. These folks are obsessive about trail grooming (it costs $35 for a 3-day ski pass to have access to them but there are hundreds of miles of them) so they want to make sure that the trails are acceptable for groove skiers and skate skiers alike. Until last year they banned bicycles of any sort from the trails. Last year they allowed them on some trails. I think this year they'll be on all but the steepest trails. We were amazed at how little trail the fatbikes left on the groomed and packed snow. It was great fun and we're hoping to do it this year on our own bikes.

I say this because I've found that x/c skiing and cold weather bicycling share the same clothing needs. Both are very intense workouts in cold (sometimes very cold) environments where it is very important to keep your body dry.

When it gets down into the 20s, at least in x/c skiing (which is not that uncommon) I wear my ski parka (just a shell with minimal insulation) over a layers beginning with light polypro undershirt, a heavier flannel-like shirt and then a down vest.

Finally, when bicycling in cold weather, I bought a snow-boarder's helmet for $19 a few years ago. It's insulated but, more importantly, it has ear flaps that keep my ears warm (the first things to get cold when I bike in cold weather).

I have been playing outdoors in the winter in the mountains of WA state all my life and I have found that much of the clothing - and all of the underwear - can work for everything. It is important to wear clothing that wicks perspiration away from your body while retaining good insulation qualities. Only polypro and wool meet this criteria. A light shell for keeping rain off is a great idea, too. But these have a tendency to flap around when speeds climb (like down a hill) so try to find something that will be snug. I have trouser shells, too. They are minimally effective, however. If it rains while I'm cycling sooner or later my knees will get wet and then stay wet no matter what I wear, it seems.

Craig
WDR
http://www.bigboxbikes.com
"No one has ever had to evacuate a city because the solar ;panels broke!"
wa_desert_rat

Postby steady eddie » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:02 am

^^X2^^on the Merino wool socks..over the calf works well for me and here is a link to one of the best places online to buy:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/icebre ... rFamily=03
Steady Eddie

"If you buy a stock bike, do something to it that makes it the only one exactly like it in the world"...Grant Petersen
steady eddie

Postby steady eddie » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:37 am

Here is a link to the type of snow helmet that WDR was speaking of:

http://www.rei.com/product/824618/red-b ... elmet-mens

I like it because it has no visor/bill hanging out of the front. IMHO, visors should snap on and off and the trend is to have them built-in to the outer shell of the helmet.
Steady Eddie

steady eddie

Postby garybbentley » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:19 pm

for general riding gear you can get sick deals at nashbar. I like to wear padded bib shorts and tights under looser shorts with athletic wicking style short and long sleeve shirts. i haven't ridden in any weather under 45 yet.
ROAD: Giant OCR1, Shimano 105 Rear 11-25t, Shimano 105 52t Single Ring Front, Shimano WRS-10 Wheelset
Mountain: Mongoose Hex 29er, Race Face 36t Crank, 18t Rear, American to English BB
Fixie: Raliegh Record 52t front, 15t Rear, Retrospec Wheelset
garybbentley

Postby wa_desert_rat » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:04 pm

steady eddie wrote:Here is a link to the type of snow helmet that WDR was speaking of:

http://www.rei.com/product/824618/red-b ... elmet-mens

I like it because it has no visor/bill hanging out of the front. IMHO, visors should snap on and off and the trend is to have them built-in to the outer shell of the helmet.

Yes, that's exactly the helmet. I bought it after the ski season was over on clearance from the local Big 5 store (which is, at least in the PNW, a great resource for outdoor gear.

The other advantage to no visor/bill is that it cannot catch in the dirt and snap your head/neck. But I bought it for the ear protection. :D

Crag
WDR
http://www.bigboxbikes.com
"No one has ever had to evacuate a city because the solar ;panels broke!"
wa_desert_rat

Postby to the beach » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:14 pm

I just purchased some silk glove liners on amazon.com for around $10. Silk is an amazing first layer and I've read before that it is the best material to have next to your skin. I am interested in purchasing some silk thermals next. I have the WM poly thermals already and they do work in keeping me warm but I question how comfortable they would be when soaked. If the silk isn't enough, a thinner layer of wool or fleece (sweatpants work) as a second layer over the silk with a top layer of gortex or at least nylon(like windpants) should be quite comfortable.
to the beach

Postby steady eddie » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:54 am

beach---

I have a very low resting heart rate @ 52 beats per minute. Every single medical person that examines me suspects that they made a mistake and check it again, several times. My blood pressure is well within spec. With my heart rate being so low, if I ever allow myself to get soaked to the skin, I can't get warm.. :o ..when I retired, my Doctor gave me a complete physical, including a blood work up. They did not find any trace of Iodine.. :?: ..one of the many things that it does for you is that it helps to regulate your body heat.. :roll: ..ya gotta have it, and the #1 source for it is "iodized" salt, and I was on a salt free diet.. :!:

Once I got that sorted out, my getting too cold went away. I found, after much searching, a vitamin/mineral supplement that contained the minimum daily requirement for Iodine.. 8-) ,,

BBBs have great heaters, built in.. :lol: ..
Steady Eddie

steady eddie

Next

Return to MTB Riding Technique