Front ends comes up..what am I doing wrong?

Techniques for riding mountain bikes.
Forum rules
Be polite and courteous!

Front ends comes up..what am I doing wrong?

Postby morando6784 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:24 pm

Well did my first actual trail ride today. Met cool guy on sellin a bike on sell trade on facebook and he invited me to join him and his friend. Man did that kick my butt. Im out of shape big time. Hopefully not for long. Well I had some trouble going up rocky hill sides. Id crank down and every once and a while id pull my bike up and it screw my front wheel placement up and put me down in a bad spot and id loose all momentum..had to walk up a couple hills. Is it how my stem was on my bike (I move it back up when I got home) do I need a longer one as well? And im sure my technique is horrible. Or is it just something that happen trying to climb threw rocks?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
What ever bike I just picked up is what im riding.............Currently Mongoose Pro G3
morando6784

Re: Front ends comes up..what am I doing wrong?

Postby 7-Zark-7 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:38 am

Can't yell what kinda bike you have by the pic...is it a hard tail or full suspension...of full suspension, you gotta learn different riding techniques while climbing...but your stem should be raised...if nothing more than keeping it from impailing you...lol

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 4.01
Zombie meat makes for great hamburgers
Giant Revel...Mine
Genesis V2100..Hers
good quote "I was beginning to worry that the city was filled with the Bill Miller eating, non exercise, ~ it's just too hot ~ and too lazy type."
7-Zark-7

Postby maliciouspete » Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:45 am

when climbing, especially steep inclines, you have to maintain a balance on the bike with enough weight on the rear that it maintains traction and enough pressure on the front end to keep the wheel down to have steering control. I recommend the chest and nose technique:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkS8nzvqfPA
Genesis V2100
Trek 1000
maliciouspete

Postby morando6784 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:23 am

Ive got a hardtail GT. Thanks for info guys ill have to get out and try it know. With the jagity rocks its prob something ill have to just practice at.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
What ever bike I just picked up is what im riding.............Currently Mongoose Pro G3
morando6784

Postby tigris99 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:16 pm

Stem is fine if that's the height u want but for gods sake if your keeping it that low trim the steered before u kill urself. Stem being too high can cause ur issue if ur sitting too upright.

+1 on the video.

Other things that are options to try:

Make sure seat height is where it should be. Ur weight again will be too far back if ur too upright

Lower gear when climbing, sit and spin instead of sit and mash. If ur going to mash, use video technique so ur weight is forward.

Had this problem too, still occasionally do it if I don't shift my weight forward when I should.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2
tigris99

Postby wa_desert_rat » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:02 am

A couple more things that can cause front wheel lift while climbing:

1. Pulling too hard on the handlebars. Usually this is from sitting back too much. If this is happening get up off the saddle and move your weight forward. Not too much (you can lose traction on that rear tire) but enough to keep the nose down).

2. Too much shock travel for the geometry of the bike can also cause this. Usually if someone has radically upgraded front and rear shocks. If your bike is stock or nearly stock this won't be an issue.

Craig
WDR
http://www.bigboxbikes.com
"No one has ever had to evacuate a city because the solar ;panels broke!"
wa_desert_rat

Return to MTB Riding Technique