Training for XC/Short Track MTB

Techniques for riding mountain bikes.
Forum rules
Be polite and courteous!

Postby garybbentley » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:04 am

So, I'm currently trying to train for my first race in XC/Short Track. Here is kind of what I do. Nothing is structured due to my work schedule being sparatic and I'm looking for tips and ideas.

I go to my local single track 2-3 times a week and when I can I go more often. I usually take the 2 mile single loop which is a moderate trail and hit two laps non stop at a moderate pace. I ride hard for a little and rest on the up hills and downhills. I take a break for 3-5 minutes and then do two laps as hard as i can, then slow down to a slow pace when i'm exhausted and repeat until the two laps are done.

On the days I don't ride I run, sometimes 2 miles and sometimes 3-4. Just depends on the day and my mood. I'm also going to run two local 5k events before the start of this points series.

I understand I need a lot more endurance and stamina, i'm hoping my training and riding schedule will help me build this up. I would feel more comfortable if I could learn what some good time/mileage comparisons were.
ROAD: Giant OCR1, Shimano 105 Rear 11-25t, Shimano 105 52t Single Ring Front, Shimano WRS-10 Wheelset
Mountain: Mongoose Hex 29er, Race Face 36t Crank, 18t Rear, American to English BB
Fixie: Raliegh Record 52t front, 15t Rear, Retrospec Wheelset
garybbentley

Re: Training for XC/Short Track MTB

Postby garybbentley » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:04 pm

here is what i found from a winter short track series in Charlotte, NC

1 Mile Loop-30min.
AVG 5-6 Laps- 6 being the best
Finish Times from 30:28 to 31:37 from top to mid pack
Best Lap Time-4:18
Best Speed-11.14mph
AVG Speed-10.8mph

What do you guys think about this?
ROAD: Giant OCR1, Shimano 105 Rear 11-25t, Shimano 105 52t Single Ring Front, Shimano WRS-10 Wheelset
Mountain: Mongoose Hex 29er, Race Face 36t Crank, 18t Rear, American to English BB
garybbentley

Postby BoomerBrian » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:15 pm

Since you know the times and the course I would time yourself and see how you compare. if you are off their times and it isn't due to stamina then it is probably technique you need to work on.

For stamina I would road bike instead of running but that is me. I hate running. I rode 41 miles today on the road bike. Was suppose to do 50 but started cramping from dealing with a 20mph head wind. If you don't have a road bike or want get run then running will work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
BoomerBrian

Re: Training for XC/Short Track MTB

Postby garybbentley » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:20 pm

Those times are from a different series, location, all together. I was just curious if they seemed right to anyone. I'm going to use those times for my training.
garybbentley

Postby BoomerBrian » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:25 pm

You might try and find out who organizes the races at your trails you ride and ask for lap times.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
BoomerBrian

Return to MTB Riding Technique