Weighting the outside of your bike in a tight turn.

Techniques for riding mountain bikes.
Forum rules
Be polite and courteous!

Weighting the outside of your bike in a tight turn.

Postby wa_desert_rat » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:05 am

When I was about ten years old, and riding my bike to school and home every day, there was a little dirt hill that let me gain a lot of speed before I rode across a parking lot, out the entrance and around a tight corner onto the street. One day, in the fall, I took this little stretch at my usual breakneck speed but failed to account for the fact that the leaves on the trees fall (in "fall"... duh) so that they cover the street loosely. My tires hit those loose leaves, they gave way and I lost traction and fell. Giving that particular time of the year at least one new meaning.

Everyone who has ridden a bike has probably skidded around a tight turn, had the tires lose traction, and done a shoulder-plant. The reason for losing traction is that when you're turning your bike leans to one side and the forces all move to a point where the tire wants to go sideways along the ground. Only the friction between the tire and the surface keeps you upright. Lose the friction and your tire slides to the side and you go down.

There is a technique you can use to add to this friction and keep your bike moving faster around what would ordinarily be a slippery corner. And that's to put more weight on the OUTSIDE of the turn. That is, stand on the outside pedal not the inside pedal.

Normally we try to stay centered on our bikes. But in a tight turn at high speed you may want to move your body outside, weight that lower pedal (I assume that the pedal towards the inside of the turn is up high so it won't rub on the ground, right?) and add some coefficient of friction to the bond between tire and dirt.

Craig
WDR
http://www.bigboxbikes.com
"No one has ever had to evacuate a city because the solar ;panels broke!"
wa_desert_rat

Re: Weighting the outside of your bike in a tight turn.

Postby tigris99 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:12 pm

^^ X2 on that, been there done that learned the same thing basically making the same mistake, I do it all the time on pavement on my MTB cause of the knobs and high tire pressure when I go for my long rides on our paved paths.
tigris99

Postby bikesRfun » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:36 am

I agree with weight on outside pedal. I would add you can also use your inside foot to help weight the front tire by bringing it in line with the front axle.
bikesRfun

Postby bikesRfun » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:42 am

Or if you're clipped in and don't want to take your foot off the pedal, you can pivot your inside knee 90¤ toward inside of turn.
bikesRfun

Postby NYMXer » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:55 pm

Weighting the outside peg with your foot while leaning the bike over (but not you) and dipping in a shoulder makes sharp turns more precise at speed. That's called good technique but nothing beats good set up, inc tire pressure and suspension settings.
NYMXer

Return to MTB Riding Technique