while i don't generally approve of plugging household pets

Free form discussions... not on topic... we'll try to copy discussions that seem pertinent to appropriate forums.
Forum rules
Topic? We Don' Need No Steengkeeng Topic! Try to be polite though.

while i don't generally approve of plugging household pets

Postby lurker » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:42 am

and this has nothing to do with department stores,
this ties together two of my interests, firearms and bikes.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velo-dog
a vintage pistol from europe specifically designed to help cyclists repel dog attacks.
lurker

Re: while i don't generally approve of plugging household pe

Postby Mitkraft » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:54 am

I genuinely dislike you now. :x
Mitkraft

Postby lurker » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:05 am

Mitkraft wrote:I genuinely dislike you now. :x

really? why?
lurker

Postby Mitkraft » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:07 pm

1) Because your response to that product anything but, “that’s just awful and wrong!” And 2) because you thought it appropriate to come post it here. There are a few things that tell me I genuinely dislike a person and not having that response to that product is high on the list. There is almost never any reason to shoot a dog. I’ve been around them all my life, lived in the country where they often were let to run loose and have come across many hostile dogs but I’ve never found a situation where I needed to shoot one and I sure as hell don’t need to carry a gun designed for that express purpose.
Mitkraft

Postby lurker » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:08 pm

not sure exactly how to respond.
i've had dogs pretty much all my life and tend to regard them as family members. as i said in the title, i don't generally approve of shooting household pets. in fact, i don't generally approve of shooting any living thing. i do enjoy shooting paper, cans, what have you. i don't hunt, spearfished for a while in my youth but that was obviously a long time ago. so killing isn't my thing, but i do eat meat, and that means killing, even if someone else is doing the killing. i also believe every living thing has a "right" to try to defend its life. including you and me, and dogs. if something attacks me, all bets are off, and i WILL invoke my right to self-defense. if killing becomes necessary, i believe in doing it as quickly and painlessly as reasonably possible. i take no pleasure in killing.
having said that, i have, in fact, been attacked by dogs, occasionally while on a bicycle. a well-placed kick will usually suffice to persuade the attacker to desist, but there have been occasions when more was required. i recall once wishing i had a stick, a rock, anything, yes even a gun when backed up against a fence by two rottweillers. had it been a small adult or a child, or three dogs, the outcome might have been different.
it's a shame that you dislike me for this. you seem like a nice enough person. i wish you well, and out of consideration of your feelings, will try not to mention the subject here again.
lurker

Postby Mitkraft » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:21 pm

I will admit that my response was harsh, but the impression I got from the creation of and language used in your first post is vastly different from the longer explanation in your last one. The phrase “plugging household pets” comes off as pretty callous regardless of what is put before it. In your previous reply though it seems that I don’t feel drastically different from you about most all of what you just said.

Sorry for my response. I judged hastily and see now that you don’t truly feel the way I got the impression you did. FYI, I also eat meat and where as I don’t hunt I’m not against people’s right to do so except I’m not a fan of pure sport hunting. I do also understand that there are times when you have to defend yourself against an animal but I’d be sad by having to do so with deadly force. I’m actually surprised (not doubting you though) that you’ve had numerous instances of viscous dogs. That’s a shame. I am BTW VERY judgmental of people who raise dogs like that and that goes tenfold if they don’t go through lengths to prevent them from becoming a problem for someone else.
Mitkraft

Postby orvil » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:51 pm

I’m glad you boys hugged and made up haha. I’m with both of you. When I used to road ride I had a pit bull mix that would give chase every time I rode past his house. I always used him as my sprint partner lol. If he got too close, a well-aimed spray from my water bottle to his face was usually enough to give me a sizable lead. He nipped at my ankles a little too closely at times. Now that I only mountain bike the dog encounters never happen.
orvil

Postby lurker » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:40 pm

no harm, no foul. maybe half a dozen incidents altogether, actually bitten twice. not too bad for 60-plus years. here's the current companion, husky-collie mix.
LUGO0807.JPG
LUGO0807.JPG (398.99 KiB) Viewed 46 times
lurker

Postby NYMXer » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:42 am

What does this post have to do with Big Box Bikes? Nothing, so it doesn't belong here, IMHO...
As a matter of fact, it isn't even bike related!
NYMXer

Postby lurker » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:29 am

NYMXer wrote:What does this post have to do with Big Box Bikes? Nothing, so it doesn't belong here, IMHO...
As a matter of fact, it isn't even bike related!

well, first it's in chatroom where allegedly being bike-related is not required, and secondly it's the VELO-dog, which is short for velocipede (you did read the linked article, right?) which is a bicycle. so even though it's not necessary, it is bike related. or to put it another way, "Topic? We Don' Need No Steengkeeng Topic! Try to be polite though." wtf.
lurker

Next

Return to ChatRoom