New Members introduce yourself and say hello!

Free form discussions... not on topic... we'll try to copy discussions that seem pertinent to appropriate forums.
Forum rules
Topic? We Don' Need No Steengkeeng Topic! Try to be polite though.

Re: New Members introduce yourself and say hello!

Postby metalman302 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:52 pm

madhatter9631 wrote:At metalman bought 3. IH sinister 6.2 IH warrior 3.3 and a db atroz

Family riding time?
metalman302

Postby bones72751 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:39 pm

I'm actually one of the oldest members, but I've been a absentee MTB'r for a few years now. Picked up a new project recently and just had to see if this site was still active, and I'm SO glad it is! Looking forward to to all the help received and given to come! FYI, I was an assembler/tech for a few years back in the day, both at Walmart and high end shops, so if anyone needs help hopefully I can give it.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk
2010 Windsor Cliff 4500- viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2554
2012 Nishiki Colorado- GF's bike
2007 GT aggressor- WIP
2005 KHS FXT Trail- WIP
Polaris Rush 29er- WIP

Visit our store- http://www.cafepress.com/bigboxbikes
bones72751

Postby Scorpion1971 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:42 am

Hello everyone. My name is Michael and I am located in Greenwood, Indiana. I stumbled upon this forum looking for modifications for my Wally Bike. I bought a Mongoose STAT 3 or 4 years ago but did not really put it to use. I have been on a diet since January and hit a plateau. I thought riding would be a great way to increase my exercise. I had some issues with the so I took it to my LBS for a tune and fix my crank arm problem. Along with a tune up they replaced the front crank and gears, front derailleur, and put in a sealed BB. I have been trying to ride every day after work for 3 to 6 miles but at least 3 times a week. I have currently been riding on the street and paths but want to get out on some easier trails. I know I will need to upgrade the forks and a few other things but have no idea what correct parts to get. I am looking forward to learning a few things for the folks here on the forums.

Mike P.
Mike P.
Scorpion1971

Postby orvil » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:38 am

Hey Mike. Glad to have you on board. Your bike will need a straight 1 1/8" steer tube fork. Which fork to buy depends on how much you're willing to spend and what type of riding you enjoy. A lot of this forum's members like S/R Suntour Epixons/Epicons, which are air forks I believe and some like Suntour's coil spring forks. I personally have a Rock Shox 30 Silver TK on my Deception and am very pleased with that shock's performance. The advantage of an air shock is you can adjust the spring rate with air pressure but these forks are generally a little more expensive and require the use of a fork/shock pump. The coil sprung fork will be less expensive but you may have to change out the compression spring based on your body weight. Better tires based on your riding preferences will be lighter than your current tires if they're original. Just look on one of the 29er threads for more ideas on wheels, derailleurs, drivetrain and other upgrades. Have fun and enjoy the trails.
orvil

Postby metalman302 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:29 am

Hi Mike. Is your stat the blue or the orange? I have a blue one. I've heard of lots of people having the crank arm come loose so I checked mine and tighten it just in case but it's good. Still planning on doing the sealed BB when it's tune up time. Also I got nice revo twist shifters for around $15 shipped off eBay.
metalman302

Postby jasnooks » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:36 am

metalman302 wrote:Hi Mike. Is your stat the blue or the orange? I have a blue one. I've heard of lots of people having the crank arm come loose so I checked mine and tighten it just in case but it's good.

Every BBB that I've purchased new hasn't had the crank arms torqued down.
First thing I do is get out the torque wrench, and give the crank bolts about 375 inch pounds.
It doesn't take long to destroy the taper on aluminum crank arms if you run them loose. And once that taper gets loose, no amount of tightening them will hold. At least that's been my experience.
jasnooks

Postby Scorpion1971 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:55 pm

metalman302 wrote:Hi Mike. Is your stat the blue or the orange? I have a blue one. I've heard of lots of people having the crank arm come loose so I checked mine and tighten it just in case but it's good. Still planning on doing the sealed BB when it's tune up time. Also I got nice revo twist shifters for around $15 shipped off eBay.

I have the Blue STAT. I had problems with the cranks arms but got that fixed when I had the tune up, BB, front derailleur and gears replaced. I have also replaced the seat. I should mention I am 6' approximately 245 pounds. I was about 308 pounds at the first of this year. My goal is to get down to 220 pounds.
Mike P.
Scorpion1971

Postby orvil » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:09 pm

Mike I'm 6'-2" and 225# myself. A couple things to consider about forks. If you decide to add an air fork you will be able to adjust the spring rate based on your body weight by adding air to the fork. If you decide to go with a coil-spring fork you will need to install an extra-heavy spring assembly. Most coil-spring forks come with a medium spring assembly. Believe me, I'm speaking from experience here! If you aren't comfortable doing the spring change any LBS or knowledgeable mountain biking friend will be able to do it for you.
I'm not positive but I'm pretty sure your Stat has a freewheel instead of a freehub/cassette. If so you will probably experience rear axle breakage as you begin to ride harder, more technical trails. This is an inherent design flaw with freewheels due to too much axle overhang on the freewheel side. Believe me, I'm speaking from experience here too lol! The solution for this is upgrading your rear wheel assembly to a freehub/cassette wheel. You will also have many more gearing options with cassettes than with freewheels as well. Plus the newer freehub wheelsets are generally lighter and of better quality. If your budget allows you can get a complete wheel set and lighten the bike even more.
orvil

Postby Bruce » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:28 pm

Hi All,
New guy here. I currently have an old Trek 950 Singletrack but it's ready for replacement. It's slightly small for me, and I'd like to get something that would handle the gravel lane and fields where I ride. I had some trails in the woods for my motorcycle but they will need some work before I can take a bike on them. I'm thinking that a bike with plus size wheels in the 27.5 or 29" size might be helpful. I'm 250, 5'9" and in my mid 50s, so I doubt I'll get too wild - but I do want something that will hold up.
Bruce
Bruce

Postby metalman302 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:04 pm

Hi there
metalman302

Previous

Return to ChatRoom