Where did you ride today?

Forum rules
Be polite and courteous! Stay on topic.

Re: Where did you ride today?

Postby Purple Haze » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:42 am

That scene still exist but Switzerland turned into the sport paradise and drinking or drugs pretty much ruins that idea. Without sports living then this place is a sleepy country in the Alps. You would know if you've been here, but sitting around here kinda sucks big time.
Purple Haze

Postby lurker » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:31 am

i haven't a clue what it's like now. in those days if i had a couple of hundred i'd take off to california or new england or canada or colorado or europe, run around till i ran out of money, find a way to get home. totally irresponsible, had a wonderful time. why i didn't end up dead eludes me. this one time in oklahoma/british columbia...

but it's sunny for the first time in nearly a week, and even though it's still below freezing i'm thinking of finding my gloves and going outside for a ride. cabin fever. 8-)
lurker

Postby bikesRfun » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:36 am

Lurker, where do you live?
bikesRfun

Postby lurker » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:08 am

bikesRfun wrote:Lurker, where do you live?

like it says in my profile ;) salisbury, NC.
before that tennessee before that georgia, before that virginia, before that florida. i've spent some time in europe and canada, but no fixed place of residence there. i've moved around a lot, mostly chasing work as a programmer/analyst, sometimes PCs, sometimes minicomputers, sometimes IBM mainframes. i prefer country/small town living, but the jobs... now i'm retired, come and go as i like. i like that.
you?
lurker

Postby bikesRfun » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:33 am

I've been to NY, NJ, MA, GA, FL, TX, OK, NM, CA, HI

I live in Phoenix AZ.
bikesRfun

Postby Purple Haze » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:36 am

I worked for I.B.M in the early 80s.
Purple Haze

Postby lurker » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:39 am

bikesRfun wrote:I've been to NY, NJ, MA, GA, FL, TX, OK, NM, CA, HI
I live in Phoenix AZ.

very cool. i spent about a month near phoenix, backpacking the saguaro national forest. a forest of cactus. :lol: hot! dry! i enjoyed it. would like to see hawaii.

Purple Haze wrote:I worked for I.B.M in the early 80s.

small world! i did IBM, Field Engineering Info Services in tampa florida 85,86. writing PL/I under MVS. :geek: in retrospect, probably shoulda stayed, but i missed the big buyout/layoffs. oh, jeeze, that's 30 years ago. now i feel old, thanks :evil:
lurker

Postby lurker » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:05 pm

we've had about 2 weeks of cold weather, sometimes clear and sometimes cloudy, always below 32 degrees. they're saying another couple of days like that, and then a heat wave, maybe highs in the upper 40s. today it was clear, sun shining, so i went for a ride, all of 2 or 4 miles into town and back. past the cemetery, the train station, the chinese restaurant we like. two doors down from the restaurant, there's a little antique shop i've never seen open, open. there was an older guy (older than me!) in the front window doing something, and the door was open, so i stopped. yes, he said he was open fridays and sundays. i think it's more a hobby than a job for him. so i locked (ha!*) the denali to a signpost and browsed.
his stock is, um, eclectic, lots of junk, old books, old clothes, place was a disordered mess, stuff more or less randomly stacked on either side of a narrow pathway. hoarder, i think. i find hoarders off-putting, my mom was a hoarder, but they sometimes have interesting stuff. i fondled a piece of chinese carved soapstone marked $20. fortunately i had exactly $1 in my pocket. he pointed to a stack of boxes, everything $1. i found a little teapot i thought might appeal to the lady of the house. we did the deal, i tied it on the rear rack** and brought it home.
point?
none, really, except that nearly every time i ride, i meet someone or see something different. two weeks ago during the last blush of warm weather, it was a snake warming itself in the sun. http://srelherp.uga.edu/snakes/caramo.htm cute little critter, nearly ran it over. today it was a peculiar little old man and his little shop of curiosities.

* i own a substantial locking cable which i expect will defeat anything less than a bolt cutter, but since it's not self-coiling it's unwieldy. so i have a little chain in a bit of plastic hose with a three-digit combo lock that sells for about $1 at the dollar store which i expect a big pair of pliers could cut. the theory is to create the impression of a lock and chain for the casual passerby. it's a denali, no discerning bike thief would touch it, but the local drunk could probably get a six-pack for it.

** the schwinn seatpost rack is way too high. i've noticed it's a problem before, but today i figured it out. if you put anything over about 6" tall on it, you risk not being able to clear it while mounting the bike. i'm fairly limber for a guy my age but this needs to be fixed. maybe the coop has something.
lurker

Postby jasnooks » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:37 am

Made 2 trips to the grocery store. It was kind of chilly, but at least it wasn't snowing, and the wind wasn't to bad.
The old cargo bike is ugly as hell, but well maintained/reliable, and does pretty good in the snow and ice.

jasnooks

Postby Purple Haze » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:04 am

WP_20180113_15_52_17_Raw_LI.jpg
WP_20180113_15_52_17_Raw_LI.jpg (135.03 KiB) Viewed 41 times
WP_20180113_15_48_20_Raw_LI.jpg
WP_20180113_15_48_20_Raw_LI.jpg (147.01 KiB) Viewed 41 times
That's wind damages here in the mountains folks and happens to be in my backyard. A entire mountainside wiped clean in one day. This is also part of the trails that I am posting pictures from.
Purple Haze

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions