Switch to full style

Forum rules

Be polite and courteous! Stay on topic.
Post a reply

Ordered some late Christmas presents.

Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:53 am

Nothing fancy, but I'm bored again, and thought I'd share.

I'm so excited. Finally ordered proper tools for servicing bottom brackets (no more using a hammer and screwdriver).

Also ordered good brake pads for the front and rear of the Denali, and black bar tape, which is the last step in getting rid of the red accents. I love the simple black/white/silver look like the Denali but the red accents just weren't doing it for me. No offense to anybody that likes the red, I just don't like the look on my bike, to "flashy" for my tastes.

And lastly, sort of bike related, a rugged case for my phone. I always stop riding if I have to text, make a call, etc, but when riding conditions allow, I'll pull the phone out while riding to check the time, or to see who texted or called. Nothing worse than watching a naked phone skid across the payment. Well, I guess me skidding across the pavement would be worse, especially naked, lol.

Attached a few detail pics.

Happy New year to all. Be safe out there.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Re: Ordered some late Christmas presents.

Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:55 am

you know i'm going to be following you around because i have a denali and will be doing some of the same stuff. keep posting, your fans (ok, one fan (stalker?)) demand it. i'm not entirely comfortable with online shopping yet, i got burned on a book 10 years ago...

Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:20 am

lurker wrote:you know i'm going to be following you around because i have a denali and will be doing some of the same stuff. keep posting, your fans (ok, one fan (stalker?)) demand it. i'm not entirely comfortable with online shopping yet, i got burned on a book 10 years ago...
I don't completely trust online shopping either, but I've never had any problems with Amazon. I just avoid items that have a shipping date of a month or more, that I assume are being shipped from China or something. I was going to order some wheel reflectors last night, until I noticed the delivery date of February 12th!! Luckily there's a bunch of other vendors on Amazon selling the same thing, without the long ship time.

Oh, don't worry about the "stalking", it'll be nice to have somebody to talk about the Denali with.

Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:47 am

Got all the goodies yesterday, might get the work done tonight if I have the energy when I get home from work.
I'm going to inspect the BB bearings on the Denali, and if they look good, I'll just clean out the factory "grease", and re grease. If their torn up, I'm going to order a sealed BB. I have a feeling that the latter is the case, hence the splined BB tool.

Looking at the crank puller, I wish I would have gotten the compact one without the handle, so I would be able to adjust the orientation of the handle to the crank arm to get better leverage. It'll work, just seems like the compact one would be a little easier.
Anybody have any experience with the one I got?

Edit: A small added bonus that I didn't know about, is that the Sram bar end plugs have a reflective "S" on them. Very small, but a nice touch for my commuter bike.

Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:19 am

I think it'll be okay. If you don't want to use the handle you could still put a wrench on it. Or if you tighten the handle and it's not where you want I think it would be okay to back it off just enough to where you want it.

I haven't used this tool in a while, but I seem to recall needing two different size ends for the center part for 2 different bikes. Internal bearings vs x-type external.
My newer puller has a removable end piece on the center part. My older puller just has the smaller diameter. It's okay, I just place something about the diameter of a dime (a nut with a built-in washer) on the end and it works.

Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:23 am

It might be less expensive to just buy a small tool set like one of these, then get whatever else you need.
Attachments
Spin Doctor small tool kit.png
Spin Doctor small tool kit.png (272.98 KiB) Viewed 99 times

Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:07 am

The problem with those tool set "deals" is that the quality might be such that, they get you by once, then you have to start replacing one thing at a time until you'd be just as well off to collect what you need as you go.. Jason has great quality Park tools. Should be lifetime tools. All of my tools were bought 1 or 2 at a time because I wanted quality, but couldn't justify buying it all at once. My tools aren't all Park brand tools, but there are other brands out there, and as far as chain whips and certain other not so precision tools go, Chinesium tools are fine. I like Pedro's, Ice Tools, Snap-On (my crank arm puller is a Snap-On brand lol) and the majority of my standard tools are random Stanley, Tool Shed, Husky, and Craftsman.. Picking one at a time gets you what you need, in the configuration that works best for you. So, The tool sets are great for some, but the unnecessary tools make $50 -$100 a little more than some folks want to spend, not knowing anything about the quality of the off brands... And not knowing if you'll ever need some of those tools

Edit: The solid handle crank arm pullers are fine. If used properly, it shouldn't matter too much what position the handle is in. A tap from a soft mallet will get the crank arm taper loose. I've never had too much trouble. But if it's really seized and looks like it's going to be a huge problem, it would probably be best to cut the spindle with a grinder and drive the taper out with a hammer and drift.

Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:52 am

bikesRfun wrote:It might be less expensive to just buy a small tool set like one of these, then get whatever else you need.
Definitely cheaper, and I would probably go with some type of set if I was just starting a tool collection, then, like Tom said, replace tools as they wear out. But, I have plenty of (to many) tools that I've collected over the years. I'm just buying a few tools now that I've always done without. I've never owned a crank arm puller, I would always borrow one. I've even used a pickle fork and hammer to remove junk cranks that I was replacing. Then I always used a hammer and screwdriver to loosen/tighten lock rings. Effective, but primitive, and ends up boogering up the lick ring, and frame if your not careful.
Last thing on my list is a nice set of cone wrenches. I have a bunch of homemade ones, but their starting to show wear, so they will be replaced soon.

Thanks guys for the input on the crank arm puller. I figured it would be fine, just had me a little worried when it comes to those super stubborn crank arms.

Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:21 pm

Got some more goodies in the mail yesterday.
100 cable end crimps for $3. I solder all my cable ends, but I still like to use an end cap. These should last me as while.
And yes, I actually ordered dorky wheel reflectors. I broke the original ones by pushing them to far up the spokes. These have a wider profile, and as a commuter, I believe every bit helps.Image

Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:03 pm

The reflectors workImage
Post a reply