Component vs Component Grudge match

Forum rules
Be polite and courteous! Stay on topic.

Re: Component vs Component Grudge match

Postby Purple Haze » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:09 pm

HTB1N9zHbRUSMeJjy1zkq6yWmpXaR.jpg
HTB1N9zHbRUSMeJjy1zkq6yWmpXaR.jpg (304.77 KiB) Viewed 148 times
Dude, I can buy 3 Shimano cassettes with the money that I saved. Or I can get 20 dollar cassettes with wider ranges all day long. Match the price with anything equivalent and I am all ears. Remember 170 bucks.https://www.aliexpress.com/item/ZTTO-Go ... eLevelAB=0 You guys are embarrassing yourselves.
Purple Haze

Postby dddd » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:30 pm

THANKS, PH, for the pertinent links to the product ordering and specifications page, and THANKS Tomcat for the translations and extracted data that I was asking about.

The data indicates that we perhaps need to be looking for a parts group from Shimano, and a parts group from SRAM, to compare to the Taibao product line.

I note that Taibao is swinging for the fences with a full 11 cogs, though admittedly SRAM offers a 12s group at three price points now.

The shifters, chainring and derailer resemble SRAM parts, though at this quality level there is the presence of a derailer inner link made from pressed sheet steel, and the crankarms ain't hollow, So clearly XT isn't their rival.

What bothers me though is that no familiar brand of bikes seems to be specifying these parts for OEM use at any price point.
Even SunRace has, after many years, achieved that level with at least a few decent bike brands, though nowhere near the XT quality level.

As far as discounted cassettes go, Shimano and especially SRAM offer durable price-point cassettes at seriously low prices. XT is just not the product to compare here with these Chinese cassettes though.

Here's a link for the proven-reliable Shimano SLX group for $302 shipped. This is with the clutch-tension rear derailer and proven-durable Shimano Chain and cassette, not to mention their very well-sealed bottom bracket and option to include one of the best disc brake sets in the world for little more than $100 extra:

https://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-sl ... 95366.html

As far as Taobou, English website or not, I am guessing that there will not be a US office (nor will any US-based companies specify this Chinese company's products on their own bikes) because of the likelihood that they may have taken liberties with several of SRAM's and/or Shimano's patents. They can get their stuff though the Ali- pipeline to US buyers, but any US assets such as offices or distribution warehouses would be subject to forfeiture if they are exploiting other's intellectual property without paying royalties per agreements with patent holders.
Any company that went to the expense of developing their own designs for a contemprary mtb parts group would surely be tapping the US market to see return on such a huge investment, but here we see a company that seemingly dares not set up shop in the US or in Europe in any way, shape or form.
dddd

Postby Purple Haze » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:38 am

It clearly states that what they the company are comparing themselves with. M8000 series is mentioned and nothing else. Aliexpress has Shimano groupsets all day long also and this set is going head to head with m8000 series. Again dddd your thinking of a time period that was a decade ago and they have already caught up just like the road bike frames. You are entitled to spend your money any way you see fit but this stuff aint no joke. I keep providing so much evidence that it really becomes ridiculous and its up to you but more and more it makes the bike industry look like a ripoff profit generating scam that a whole lot of people got suckered into believing. Tomcat would have everyone riding princess jasmine bikes with his philosophy and you just dont have to nowadays IF YOU KNOW WHAT TO LOOK FOR. This isn't some scam like you thought your Suntour forks were. Look how that turned out and why is anything else any different. Sava bikes has a bike branded as the phantom that goes directly for the madones throat with campagnolo groupsets. You guys are way behind the times when it comes to whats available as a BBB. China owns industry and there is absolutely no way around those facts. Of course there are bad products and ripoffs like with any other country but they also are undercutting just about every company in the world.
Purple Haze

Postby Tomcat65 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:41 am

You love to put words in my mouth.
Just another reason why your credibility is dump.
WE KNOW WHAT WE LOOK FOR. WE KNOW WHAT WE'RE LOOKING AT WHEN WE SEE IT. YOUR OPINION IS JUST THAT. OPINION. Actually, you base your opinions on speculation, derived from lowest price, and seller approved reviews on the seller's web pages.

My Ascension is possibly only going to satisfy me.
My Mongoose Malus might only satisfy Me.
My Huffy Cranbrook is only great in my mind.
My son's Next PowerClimber is one of those bikes that has gotten bad reviews even here, but I love wheelies on that little bike.
The rest of my bikes are either old or BBB's also..

So what is your point attacking me? You want people to believe I'm LBS crazy, but you have no evidence. You ask for examples of carbon fiber frame road bikes that can compete with your $1299.00 price tag, I posted ONE Trek Emonda S4, carbon fiber, Tiagra group for $1400.00 and you believe I'm all LBS because of that?
You're so hell bent on proving something with lowball prices that you can't admit that some brand's engineering and quality control beats others. Even among the LBS brands, people have choices within groups of bikes that get downright affordable, but the aluminum frame, entry level LBS bikes are not very far out of the ballpark from a higher quality BBB. Add the $100.00 at a bike shop and you get a few higher grade components. I, and a LOT of other people who frequent this forum are able to upgrade the components on our BBB's and get more than satisfactory results. So, who are you knocking with your mouthy self?

The truly disgusting part of your relentless threads, is that you go on and on about bikes and components that you have never seen in real life. A real, honest review of something YOU or a friend owns would be so cool, but you just post speculation about cheap products that YOU assume are just as good as any other because the web page headers declare them compatible Or competitive with higher end products. This makes you look foolish and then you "Guarantee" that it's just as high quality, if not Better! You will not hear anyone else's point of view because you're so determined to be right. YOU have created an MTBR atmosphere here. High and mighty, You HAVE to be right, even though you provide no proof. You add nothing to the BBB aspect of this site. You've said repeatedly that MTBR has threads all about these Chinese bikes. I suggest you go there and converse with people who are interested.

Why would we not be skeptical?
Tomcat65

Postby Purple Haze » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:11 am

Again your trying to flip all of you assessments of these products because you stated that you wouldn't trust these items and it was substandard. You even went so far as to say the XR PRO wasn't worth investing in to get to 30lbs.Over and over you attacked all of the products that came from Aliexpress. We even have long debates on every item posted because you personally do not approve of such. Whats the alternative tomcat? There is none from your perspective unless it involves major purchases and I am vehemently opposed to, simply to enjoy cycling. Quit trying to act like you want to save people money and state your real purpose of saying step up to a LBS bike when you can afford it. In the mean time be satisfied with riding the bike to the neighbors and back. That's MTBR talk and it was proven false years ago. You have modded your Ascension and done a good job so why isn't it all right for people to get cheap stuff that actually works. You wont back down from the same MTBR talk that cost people extraordinary amounts of money to simply ride a trail or road bike with their buddies. your not going to stifle the conversation on this forum about cheap bikes. You guys would have everyone on some bike that would never be up to the potential of competency because people would be priced out by ordering from performance bike or Nashbar. I have seen this behavior over and over again and it belongs to a different mindset of exclusivity. We is the MTBR crew and I know your forum shopping to get everyone to believe what you guys believe. Welcome to the other side of the coin where you dont have to spend as much coin.
Purple Haze

Postby Tomcat65 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:00 am

Mongoose Malus build Price list:

VP Bottom bracket cup and bearing set with seals $6.47 ebay.
Jagwire MTB shift kit $16.02 ebay.
Ibis 710mm aluminum riser handlebar $9.47 used, polished by hand myself, ebay.
Smimano 3x8 speed trigger shifters SL-M350, SL-M360 $9.41 LBS take-offs, ebay.
Shimano SLX FD-M671 Direct Mount Front Derailleur, LBS take-off again $6.00, ebay.
Shimano SLX RD-M662 Rear Derailleur 9 Speed Long Cage, used $15.00, ebay.
New pulley set for the M662 rd $5.27 ebay.
DNP Epoch Freewheel 8spd 11-34 $24.97, LBS display, Amazon.
Shimano FC-M391 Crankset With Triple Chainrings, used $25.00, ebay.
XLC 28.6 seatpost, brand new $16.87, ebay.
FSA Clear Bashguard, used, but near new condition, $5.79, ebay auction.
22t Shimano chainring, new $3.60 ebay.
Anvil front derailleur clamp for fatbike $31.00, ebay, the single most expensive part so far.
Wake 40mmx31.8 stem $7.64, ebay.
Alloy water bottle holder $5.94, It was an impulse buy, too much $, but I like it, ebay China.
NEW ODI Rogue Grips $11.64, ebay.
Avid FR-5 Brake Levers $9.40, ebay.
Avid Disc Brake Adapter/Mounting Bracket - IS 200mm front $12.56, ebay.
Avid Disc Brake Adapter/Mounting Bracket - IS 200mm Rear $11.56, ebay.
Hayes disc rotors, set of 2, 203MM $26.08, ebay.
Charge saddle, brown $26.75, SJD distributors, UK.
8 speed KMC chain $8.50, local LBS.

It's a BBB. It's not MTBR.. I shopped for exactly what I wanted, and I cut costs everywhere I could just to keep it affordable.

Even the Ascension you mentioned has a $200.00 RST F1rst 120mm suspension fork from Australia, ebay.
I'm not getting hurt financially on my bikes. I'm fully aware of pricing, but I want proven parts that I can get serviced.
The RST F1rst fork already has new top seals. It took one phone call, they were no charge.

I don't HAVE to buy AliExpress or LT Woo, or any other no name, take a chance on something I've never heard of components. It's entirely possible to get good quality parts that are completely serviceable on a budget in the USA.
Tomcat65

Postby Tomcat65 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:15 am

Purple Haze wrote:You even went so far as to say the XR PRO wasn't worth investing in to get to 30lbs.

You love putting words in my mouth. No one has brought an XR-Pro down to 30lb that I've seen. I said it might be cost prohibitive to get the weight down that far without sacrificing something major, like tire width.The XR-Pro is Heavy, some have weighed it right out of the box at 38lb.. Dropping 8lb isn't easy on a full suspension bike. Crankset, tires, wheels, fork, and rear shock are going to be the only real opportunities to loose weight, and even at that, downsizing might be necessary to get it down 8lb. Going lighter takes a lot of research and can be very expensive.
The stem, handlebar, seatpost and saddle, maybe the shifters, cassette and derailleurs could go down another pound, but it'll still be heavy compared to a narrow tire 22lb LBS carbon fiber framed XC bike that was engineered to be light.
Tomcat65

Postby Purple Haze » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:40 am

I dont disagree with trying to get parts on the cheap any where you can but it all comes from China and that's my point. Enough arguing because we have to decide a winner in the first round of grudge match. The winner is LTWOO by a land slide because its the same thing but cheaper. :D
Purple Haze

Postby desertguns » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:28 am

Yet another self interest sales thread from photo blast boy that has nothing to do with BBB. No experience,never touched a piece of hardware, simply misleading readers by stating minutia with an authoritative tone. Craig obviously doesn't monitor the website anymore. Although, Purple Haze fits right in with the latest group spammers posting here uncorrected. The whole site might as well be devoted to sales ads & shit links. We could even assign a public click count to make sure appropriate commission is paid to the proper shill for link hits. Yeah, that's what this site is all about. Fuck it. PH pumps out the swill & you guys perpetuate & wallow in it with each reply. As long as anyone replies to anything he posts, it will continue. Keep up the good work gang.
desertguns

Postby orvil » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:33 am

desertguns wrote:Yet another self interest sales thread from photo blast boy that has nothing to do with BBB. No experience,never touched a piece of hardware, simply misleading readers by stating minutia with an authoritative tone. Craig obviously doesn't monitor the website anymore. Although, Purple Haze fits right in with the latest group spammers posting here uncorrected. The whole site might as well be devoted to sales ads & shit links. We could even assign a public click count to make sure appropriate commission is paid to the proper shill for link hits. Yeah, that's what this site is all about. Fuck it. PH pumps out the swill & you guys perpetuate & wallow in it with each reply. As long as anyone replies to anything he posts, it will continue. Keep up the good work gang.

This is the exact reason I’ve stopped replying to his stupid threads. I’m sick of reading his drivel and hopefully he’ll drown in it. I’ve thought about dropping out of this forum entirely because of him but decided to stay and discuss other threads. I’ll just continue to ignore his idiotic mantra and baiting.
orvil

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions