Selling the Huffy

Forum rules
Be polite and courteous! Stay on topic.

Re: Selling the Huffy

Postby metalman302 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:11 am

Maybe I'll show her once I get the Epixon installed. I just installed some ESI Chunky and the color was waaaaay off from what my screen shows. Aqua came way more baby blue than expected. I could have just sent it back but oh well I guess it's better than basic bitch black.
Budget Bike Riders - Facebook group
metalman302

Postby Purple Haze » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:39 am

Whats the secret didn't you have the giant.
Purple Haze

Postby dddd » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:46 am

Purple Haze wrote:I agree with getting a bike you really want, but bikes are just tools here because for the most part everyone rides them. I only need a 29er FS because it allows me to keep up with the pack on Saturday rides in the Alps. The Blackcomb could use bigger tires and the 3x10 but that's it because it still makes me laugh at how capable it is. The fuel 100 could use new suspension and big tires also but neither of my bikes can keep pace with the other riders 29ers. If it were up to me I would most definitely get the XR PRO and mod it. Budreauxs Vilano modded would be a ripper for speed, but my back cant handle that type of punishment for mile upon mile. I ride all the time and I need the best tool that will do the job and nothing else. The carbon road bikes are calling my name nowadays also.

The difference between different vintages and materials with road bikes is a very small performance difference to overcome as compared to having or not having full suspension with good hydraulic damping while riding competitively on rough trails! Even with my aluminum, fat-tired, air fork-suspended Huffy TR-745, I often struggle to keep up with a training-level pace through the woods. But I struggle far less while hanging with training rides on the road while riding a vintage steel road bike.

So I can see wanting a mountain bike with well-tuned full suspension and maybe bigger rims, at least when trying to keep pace with good riders on advanced FS bikes.

Is the XR Pro hard to find in Switzerland? I don't even ever come across them on Craigslist here in California, so I would think that it has pretty much become an irrelevant model. I could find a million other good FS bikes though, like my old (2002) 24-speed, rim-braked Trek Fuel 80 FS bike that I still have only $400 into (even after upgrading it with a Recon air fork).

But this is the BBB site, so If I were to eventually decide to buy say a proven generic carbon 29er hardtail frame, I would simply keep that to myself and move over to the MTBR crowd to guide my purchase decision and share the experience.

I just did a Google search looking for any Vilano FS 29er, but nothing readily turned up. What is this Vilano of which you speak purple haze?
Please though no more photos that don't include current ordering criteria such as delivered prices!!! That is what I call spam and simply litters/clutters/dumps on this site.

PS metalman302, sorry but your post didn't say which model of Huffy that you were going to be selling(?), so it's easy to see how this thread has headed in many other directions.
dddd

Postby metalman302 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:48 pm

I'm a fellow TR745 owner... Remember?

He's referring to the Vilano Blackjack hardtail. I don't think they make a fs.

Besides having better components, the Eagle Claw's geometry matches the Trance a lot closer so it's more natural to switch between the two bikes. Last time I got on the Huffy I thought "man this bike feels weird now.
metalman302

Postby Purple Haze » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:40 pm

The Vilano Blackjack 3.0 is the frame you want to build a cheap XC racer. For a cheap build it has a geometry that nails that fast mountain pace you actually want. The XR pro is kinda in that category but the frame is far more forgiving on your back and it definitely matters when your doing rides at pace. Stock the edge goes to the Vilano by far but modded puts them maybe on even keel although the Vilano can dip far below the 30 pound weight.
Purple Haze

Postby metalman302 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:20 am

Gone but not forgotten
metalman302

Postby lurker » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:54 am

i had a huffy aerowind before i bought my gmc denali. the aerowind was cool in its way, but loaded with propietary stuff, seat post, brake calipers, suchlike. a fine bike, a lovely bike but too much trouble to maintain. i took it to the local bike coop, where i trust it will find a new owner and a loving home.
lurker

Previous

Return to General Discussions