Youtube video review.Fact or Fiction, Good or Bad

Forum rules
Be polite and courteous! Stay on topic.

Re: Youtube video review.Fact or Fiction, Good or Bad

Postby Tomcat65 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:40 am

Typical MTBR rhetoric.
Purple Haze wrote:Keep ripping those trails Orvil while everyone is stopping to wait for you at the top of the hill. Or better yet your the guy laying in the weeds with a broken pelvis screaming and throwing up from the pain while your buddies are calling the helicopter and saying things like gnarly and rad.

We build our bikes to suit our style of riding and where we ride.
We do not care what anyone else thinks.
We seek our own path, no one else's opinion matters as long as our bikes perform when and where we need it.
Just because you have an idea of what would work for you, does not mean it's the full gospel for everyone.
If it weren't for people trying new things, there would be no progress.
Self appointing yourself as an authority will always draw argument and when you don't properly research your point, you look like an idiot.
Congratulations PH,
You've taken advantage of the fact that administration is not moderating this forum, and now, I don't care either.
Tomcat65

Postby Purple Haze » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:20 am

The point was is they are faster and thats all ,End of story. No one is telling anyone anything but its a darn good observation from a large segment of riders.
Purple Haze

Postby Tomcat65 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:38 am

Faster cross country makes no difference to me where I ride.
End of story
Tomcat65

Postby orvil » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:54 pm

Purple Haze wrote:The point was is they are faster and thats all ,End of story. No one is telling anyone anything but its a darn good observation from a large segment of riders.

You've made no point PH. Top Fuel dragsters are faster than Rock Crawlers but try driving a Top Fuel dragster on a Rock Crawler course. I guarantee you won't be waiting on the other drivers at the top of the course.
I'm not bragging but just like most seriously addicted mountain bikers I have several bikes. Each is for a different riding style and trail even though conceivably all could be ridden on all my local trails. But some would be ill-suited and very much slower. I have a gravel bike for all the gravel roads in my area. I have an old '98 Marin rigid 26er that I've built with a 1x10 SRAM and Shimano drivetrain. It's a XC style bike with a short stem stack that gets me lower over the front but I'm using a 60mm stem and 740mm bars. Normally most people would probably run 1.95" wide tires on a 26er XC but my local trails are all rocky, loose and rooty so I'm running a 2.10" on the rear and a 2.35" for bite on the front and both are aggresive trail tires, not faster XC tread. Very few of my local trails are smooth single track so my tire selection matches my terrain. I have a mid-'90s Trek Mountain Track 800, my first mountain bike, and I've converted it to SS with a 36T chainring and a 20T rear cog. I've installed a quill stem adapter and I'm using the old alloy stem and bars from the Deception. I run 1.95" aggresive tires on it to save weight. I have my Deception that's set up as a 1x10 as well. It has a 100mm travel Rock Shox fork and I'm running a 2.25" Nobby Nic on the rear and a 2.35" Hans Dampf on the front. Its a great set-up for this bike and my local trails. And then there's the infamous Marin Hawk Hill I bought a couple months ago. With its long/low/slack geometry and aggresive tires its a great bike for my local trails. With F/S and more travel than the Deception its far more plush and composed on my technical trails, both climbing and descending. And more confidence inspiring on these same trails.
PH I've built these bikes to ride on my local trails. My geographic area is the Appalachian foothills. I don't have the elevation of Pisgah but I do have the same terrain. There are only a few smooth single track trails in North Alabama, the terrain is just too rocky and rooty for that. Few of the trails are machine built, smooth and flowey. So I hate to disappoint you but none of my riding buddies are waiting for me at the top of the climbs on their XC steeds while I labor up the climbs on my slow, heavy "motocross" style bikes with fatter tires. There are no strictly XC trails here. Yes, some of the trail systems do have XC trails but thats in the minority. And, while I hope visions of me lying broken on the side of the trail while my riding buddies shout "Rad Brah" have entertained you, I ride these trails because they are the only type of trails I have locally. Just like in the PNW, mountain bikers build and ride to suit their local trails. I'm doubting very many riders around the Whistler area build and ride XC bikes.
So as far as you thinking that only people that live on mountains with shuttle and ski lift access shoukd be riding aggressive bikes and the rest of us should swallow our pride and only ride XC bikes, well, that's just your misguided opinion. If I want to enjoy the trails and terrain God has blessed my area with then I'll ride it on bikes I've built just for that. They may not be as fast as XC bikes on smooth single track climbs but they're pretty damn confident on my trails. Quit trying to dictate what we should all build our bikes for, what type of riding we should be doing, what trails we should be riding and on what components we should spend our money.
orvil

Postby bikesRfun » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:31 am

Purple Haze wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aWk6zqOZc8

If your ever group riding on Saturdays at pace and you got anything resembling a pure trail bike then your going to get dropped hard.

on a non mountainous terrain and the XC based bike will win each time.

Not true. If you're riding with a group the more determining factor in who gets dropped is WHO is riding. Anyone who has done group rides knows this.

Having said that, I agree that a rider will probably be faster riding a xc bike than THE SAME RIDER riding a trail bike or all-mountain/enduro bike.
bikesRfun

Postby Purple Haze » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:36 am

Its only in reference to the style of bike period and I am fully aware of terrain as well as ability. I thought it was a good observation as to the difference in speed without going into downhill situations and that's all.
Purple Haze

Postby orvil » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:38 pm

I think all of us here are smart enough to know there are horses for courses PH, but thanks for your keen observation and insight.
orvil

Postby bikesRfun » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:29 pm

PH, thanks for posting the YouTube links. I do look at them and they're interesting.
bikesRfun

Postby Purple Haze » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:13 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3Ge901cnQ8 Time to get fit again even though its the middle of the winter. Reason is by spring time its too late if your going to ride every weekend. This is not trying to tell anyone what to do, but it helps tremendously in cycling period.
Purple Haze

Postby HerrKaLeun » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:31 pm

I sometimes actively look for youtube BBB reviews. The funny thing is, the reviewers say how they had to go to the LBS to tune up or check the bike.
If you have to pay an LBS to do such minor maintenance, you are not qualified to review bicycles and judge them. Period. I can't trust someone's judgment who spends $40 to "tune up" a $90" bike because he can't adjust a derailleur.
2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 1
2018 Motobecane Sturgis NX
HerrKaLeun

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions