Youtube video review.Fact or Fiction, Good or Bad

Forum rules
Be polite and courteous! Stay on topic.

Re: Youtube video review.Fact or Fiction, Good or Bad

Postby Purple Haze » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:07 am

XR PRO is up in the near future and will be the only video reviews of one of the most iconic BBBs of this decade bar none.
Purple Haze

Postby Tomcat65 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:59 am

Purple Haze wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C12X6_IsnPw Here is what most of the better BBBs will be able to do.This guy actually races bikes but here is my answer for how hard can you push modded BBB.

Other than the bigger jumps and the rear wheel hops at the end, that was what I was doing with my heavy azz Malus yesterday :P The Malus with No suspension is capable of small jumps and bunnyhop climbing obstacles, but I have not yet committed to clipless pedals. I'm loving the traction and running long dry creek beds is a blast. The turns are tight, and the Malus can run up on the steep off camber edges to go around obstacles with ease, it just keeps rolling.

On the flip side, if you can take the drop landings on a hardtail, that looks a lot like the ATV trails and creek crossings I ride on the Schwinn Ascension. There are only a few really good jumps on the trails I ride, but as my Ascension evolved through the build, I was able to grow with it. Going from a 26 to a 29'er is challenging, the 26 is easier to manage, and the ride becomes more playful, but with the 29'er, you have to focus on overcoming the size of the bike. You either adapt, and choose components like shorter stems and stronger wheels, or you go low key cross country and just roll over everything you used to jump. It took me a while to figure it out, but with a little effort, you'll drop the seat down out of the way and start ripping just as hard on a 29'er as you did with a 26. I have one sort of tabletop looking jump, it's a long run up to a little less than 2ft rise. then a long, slow falling, descending landing run. I can make a really long distance flight out of it with the Ascension, but my son just gets a lil front wheel pop and rolls it out. The Malus has been too heavy to get it in the air like that, but on speed bump and curb pops, it gets higher than I thought it would. It just doesn't have any hang time lol..

The BBB's are capable. But right out of the box, the best way I can describe them, as I have many times before on here.. They're like sleepers. Like that car that doesn't look like anything more than a grocery getter, then at some stoplight, it takes off like a rocket and you don't know what happened unless you're paying attention. The BBB's blend in with the cheap bikes, they aren't ready for all of the challenges we'll want to take on, but when modified, they become way more capable of what we expect from them. They're great for building because you can ride it as is until you figure out what you need to do to make it work where you ride, and how to make it work the way you Want to ride... Without spending a fortune on a bike that seems to have a set purpose.
Tomcat65

Postby Purple Haze » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:11 am

Guarantee your ascension flies on a proper course and pretty much will go over obstacles like they are not even there.
Purple Haze

Postby metalman302 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:19 pm

Purple Haze wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C12X6_IsnPw Here is what most of the better BBBs will be able to do.This guy actually races bikes but here is my answer for how hard can you push modded BBB.

So I just watched this and that guy was shredding that trail. Next video that autoplayed was this:

https://youtu.be/4dUbafu8KBI

So he starts talking about how he downgraded from 200mm travel to 160mm so I keep waiting for some shreds or some slow drops of anything more than a few inches.....and nothing! Isn't 160mm overkill for that trail he's on? I'm mean I'm a complete newb but that's the kind of difficulty level of that video is what I've been doing with my peasant Huffy
Budget Bike Riders - Facebook group
metalman302

Postby metalman302 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:28 pm

Purple Haze wrote:Yeah,Kevcentral is doing a pretty good job but he forgot to say that alls the bike needed was a rubber sleeve for the front derailleur.I still say that this is the 26er to build and its looks like one of the last BBB 26ers to come out recently with a quality frame.

Yeah that seemed like a very silly reason to return it instead of just fixing it when he seemed to be otherwise very impressed with the bike. Could have fixed it and had a very legitimate review with trail time but instead want to put out a video where he spend 5 minutes telling you what you can see for yourself by looking at a picture. And the cover image is a huge slam, may as well just be saying "don't buy it".
metalman302

Postby metalman302 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:34 pm

Tomcat65 wrote:Well, there is one video on the Ascension, but that guy doesn't have a lot of knowledge to pass on to us lol... Maybe WE should start posting reviews on Youtube. I've actually considered it many times, but my slow Southern style way of speaking would probably be misunderstood and completely disregarded by the masses :roll:

You guys have modded the crap out of your bikes. While there's certainly an audience for that, the masses are interested in the bike out of the box. The negative videos have been regarding bikes out of the box, so positive reviews of bikes out of the box would help.

Side note what happened to all the traffic on this site from when it was busier? I wasn't here back in the deception era so I'm just curious what's changed.
metalman302

Postby Purple Haze » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:14 pm

Propaganda changed the way people viewed the forum because there was another forum that started this whole debacle of people not being able to have good equipment unless you purchased a high dollar LBS bike that was supposed to be a cure all for all time.Those participants of the forum repeatedly shamed people for low budget purchases as a excuse to have one-upmanship on the other guy.Although there were many technological advancements that LBS bikes possessed there was a constant of basic principals that linked LBS with BBBs and that was frame geometry and materials.If you had two of those that equaled LBS bikes than you had essentially the same thing.That meant the other guy regardless of the advanced tech he had, was always trying to find something else to separate basic capabilities of cheap vs expensive bikes.In areal world situation its a totally different story because certain BBBs can really outperform many LBS bikes for far cheaper if you give them components that were equal.The aftermarket stuff is cheap and the stuff is topline components for dirt cheap if you know what to look for and the LBS guys are always modding their bikes.Depends on whether your into biking or just want to bike to ride sometimes but I still believe there are incredible deals almost need no modificaions out of the box.The worst scenario for BBBs is nothing on the bike is off road capable and most of the time its not true and the bike is much closer to a competent mountain bike than people thought was possible.
Purple Haze

Postby metalman302 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:48 pm

So everyone lost their minds over the deception and the stat but they have no interest in the current bbb because the LBS culture said their head tube is a couple degrees more optimal? (And chsinstay length blah blah) Has to be more than that.
metalman302

Postby Tomcat65 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:35 pm

metalman302 wrote:So I just watched this and that guy was shredding that trail. Next video that autoplayed was this:

https://youtu.be/4dUbafu8KBI

So he starts talking about how he downgraded from 200mm travel to 160mm so I keep waiting for some shreds or some slow drops of anything more than a few inches.....and nothing! Isn't 160mm overkill for that trail he's on? I'm mean I'm a complete newb but that's the kind of difficulty level of that video is what I've been doing with my peasant Huffy

As he's riding, he was talking about the difference in a full blown downhill bike and an All Mountain or Enduro style bike. 200mm travel bikes are generally not good climbers, and he was just rolling over a lot of things other guys would shred. 160 travel is overkill for riding cross country style, but if he spent the $$ on it, it's on him if he wasted it lol..
Tomcat65

Postby Purple Haze » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:34 pm

I live in the mountains and am thoroughly convinced that alls I would ever want is a modded xr pro or that iron horse bike and I'm good to go.The travel is needed for downhill but downhill comes with serious risk of injury.Of course he overestimated what he would really need because of propaganda plain and simple.
Purple Haze

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions