Youtube video review.Fact or Fiction, Good or Bad

Forum rules
Be polite and courteous! Stay on topic.

Re: Youtube video review.Fact or Fiction, Good or Bad

Postby Tomcat65 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:56 pm

Oddly, he claims it's a mountain bike, but on the website, it says nothing about it being a mountain bike...
https://www.walmart.com/ip/29-Mongoose-Hex-Men-s-Fitness-Bike-Matte-Blue/22861850
I looked at the Hex a couple of years ago when I was considering a single speed. I just didn't like it enough to buy it. The aluminum frame beats the Kent Thruster fixie (actually single speed) steel frame bike by 3 to 5lb. The baby blue looking paint and aggressive tires weren't very convincing, so I started looking for a Mongoose Detain to go on sale, but they've never been under $150 when I had the loose cash. Anyway, I can't recommend the Hex either, but his review was just ridiculous and the top comments all concur.
Tomcat65

Postby jasnooks » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:08 pm

metalman302 wrote:I've been looking at a few videos similar to this and the thing is..... they pick the worst of the BBBs. Hell, this one you see a Boundary on the rack right next to him as he's pulling the Genesis off the rack. That tells me right there that they're biased. Where was all the reviews with trail riding footage for the Deception, Stat, XR-Pro, Ascension, TR745? I think the people with professional youtube channels just pick the worst bikes as click bait. Those models must generate more interest, maybe because the sheer number of units out there, maybe because people will click hoping they'll see a failure and a spectacular trail crash.

I did watch Seth's Ledge video the other day and the overall impression I got was he was unbiased and called it what it is.
So the Genesis is a total pile?
jasnooks

Postby Tomcat65 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:14 pm

Hey Jasnooks!
The video had 2 riders on matching Genesis V2100 bikes. One bike was destroyed, the other was in good shape after the ride. There is much to be said for the quality of the rider, no matter what the quality of the bike. Personally, I like the V2100. But what do I know? lol.. Bone stock, and reckless, Some kids could break an anvil in a sand box.
Tomcat65

Postby jasnooks » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:28 pm

Tomcat65 wrote:Hey Jasnooks!
The video had 2 riders on matching Genesis V2100 bikes. One bike was destroyed, the other was in good shape after the ride. There is much to be said for the quality of the rider, no matter what the quality of the bike. Personally, I like the V2100. But what do I know? lol.. Bone stock, and reckless, Some kids could break an anvil in a sand box.
My sarcastic comment was aimed at this statement by metalman "they pick the worst of the BBBs."
jasnooks

Postby metalman302 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:06 am

jasnooks wrote:So the Genesis is a total pile?

Compared to some of the other BBB available, yes. Both in specs and in assembly. Some of the nicer bikes leave the factory in decent shape, while some of the cheaper ones were half haphazardly slapped together. All of us here know that that the wally world assemblers aren't mechanics and the bikes need to be completely gone through top to bottom. They didn't do that in their video.
Budget Bike Riders - Facebook group
metalman302

Postby Tomcat65 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:44 am

Not all Walmart assemblers are mechanics, but some are knowledgeable and helpful. I remember seeing 2 guys assembling bikes in the garden center at a Walmart near here, outside.. They were slapping the wheels on and no doubt, not giving them any more attention than making sure they used all of the parts. It was a complete mess, mixed with half assembled cooking grills and patio furniture. At a different Walmart, I saw the "bike shop" and it was nice, neat, orderly.. 2 different stores, 2 completely different ways of doing things. Walmart does not allow them to spend the kind of time on these bikes that a bike shop would on each bike. Imagine the difference in volume of sales between a normal LBS and a Walmart. Just in bikes alone, I'm sure Walmart sales are higher daily in 90% of their stores than some inner city large inventory bike shops. Online retail has increased sales for many bike shops like Niagara Cycle, Performance Bike, and many others who see the market growing in that direction. Many are selling through Amazon and other online middle man type sellers. These bikes are in a box, just like the box a Walmart bike is shipped in, and who assembles these bikes? As long as the LBS exists, there will be a place for the average person with neither the time, nor the tools to have the work done for them. Walmart does not offer this service after the sale, but when the bike assembler at a given store is competent, and actually in the building, you can get brakes adjusted and handlebars straightened, tires inflated, before you leave the store. Not the same as checking the bearings, adding your choice of pedals, checking the headset, and taking time to help you get an initial "fit" but still helpful given the schedule they keep. So, ya! Some Walmart assemblers are less than others, but some are doing the best a person can expect, given the tools and time they have to work on these bikes. The blanket theory that they're all idiots does not apply.
Tomcat65

Postby Purple Haze » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:41 am

Well said tomcat,I remember on a Saturday in Frederick,Maryland that the assemblers were so busy that a line of bikes that needed to be assembled were coming out of the door where there was a huge service center assembly work place.The two guys that worked there were extremely competent but had no time to inspect the assembled bikes.I picked up my bike and the guys asked me if I was capable of doing the fine tuning myself or I could wait further.I told them it was fine and got the heck out of there because of all the people waiting for bikes.
Purple Haze

Postby metalman302 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:02 pm

I know occasionally they have a real mechanic, I think the guy here in the Boundary thread says he even trues wheels if his manager isn't up his ass. But Tomcat wouldn't you agree that even things such as bearing grease and adjustment are better on the Ascension out of the box compared to lower options? By the way did the Ascension come with a sealed bottom bracket?

Is there any objective youtube reviews from someone with a big following, with trail ride time, on a better Mongoose or the Ascension? I briefly searched and didn't see any.
Budget Bike Riders - Facebook group
metalman302

Postby Tomcat65 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:27 pm

Well, there is one video on the Ascension, but that guy doesn't have a lot of knowledge to pass on to us lol... Maybe WE should start posting reviews on Youtube. I've actually considered it many times, but my slow Southern style way of speaking would probably be misunderstood and completely disregarded by the masses :roll:

The Ascension has a sealed bearing Look-alike. It's common on Schwinn mountain bikes, maybe others. But it was a balls in a cage mess of aluminum shavings and black grease when I opened it up. I had to buy the sealed bearing style bb socket to remove it. But I replaced it all with the FSA Comet with the Mega Exo external bearing crankset. Which means I had to buy another specialty wrench lol..
The Ascension and the Boundary are similar, the Boundary has a different rear triangle, and a lower quality fork than the Ascension. But the SR Suntour fork on the Ascension was a Suntour NVX intended for 700c. The fact that it works with a 29'er is a no brainer, but it's a heavy coil spring style fork with a rebound or preload adjustment that barely made a difference. It works Great on my son's Mongoose Deception with it's steep head angle and him weighing 130lb on a wet and rainy day.

As far as the quality of the bikes goes, for $300.00, I kind of feel like I got lucky with the Ascension. The Genesis MaxAir, and the Mongoose Stat 4.2 I had before, and returned to WalMart were ok bikes, but just not what I was looking for. The quality of components on the Stat was just sub-par all around. The earlier blue Stat was apparently a winner for a lot of folks, but the black and orange Stat 4.2 was nowhere near the quality of the Ascension, I rode the Ascension for about a month before I got serious with it. During that time, I realized it was all of the bike most people need just as it came from Target. So, ya, I'll agree that some BBB's are Above the rest, but for those of us who would change out everything anyway, it matters a little less. Well, except in the case of the Genesis MaxAir.. It was just plain too big for me, felt like a road bike, and all I wanted to do was go fast. I couldn't imagine jumping anything on that bike, or seriously riding it like an MTB should be ridden... But now that it's gone, I believe it could be transformed into the perfect gravel bike for someone my size. That includes the GS29, the Genesis Two Niner, The Kent Thruster, the Jeep Comanche.. There are probably more variations and more names associated with this same exact bike frame that I'll never know about or see, but it's a 6061 aluminum frame and it's made for 700c wheels or 29'er wheels, there are retrofit disc brake mounts available and any fork that works with a 1 1/8 headset will work on this bike.
29-Genesis-GS29-Mens-Bike.jpg
Imagine this bike with drop bars and brifters,the seat raised high and skinny tires 35mm or less
29-Genesis-GS29-Mens-Bike.jpg (29.42 KiB) Viewed 156 times

There are hidden gems on those Walmart and Target bike racks, I thought the purpose of this place (all of us who participate here) was to help the right people find them.
Tomcat65

Postby Tomcat65 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:38 pm

AND ANOTHER THING!
lol..

Do you guys remember this bike?
http://www.bigboxbikes.com/viewtopic.php?t=4133
Ya! It's a Deception converted to Cyclocross!
I know PH is convinced that Chinese carbon is the way to go and the coming trend, but around here, and all over the midwest and southern U.S. Gravel and Cyclocross is growing fast and folks are loving the off road ability of these bikes.
Tomcat65

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions