Youtube video review.Fact or Fiction, Good or Bad

Forum rules
Be polite and courteous! Stay on topic.

Re: Youtube video review.Fact or Fiction, Good or Bad

Postby metalman302 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:44 pm

HerrKaLeun wrote:I sometimes actively look for youtube BBB reviews. The funny thing is, the reviewers say how they had to go to the LBS to tune up or check the bike.
If you have to pay an LBS to do such minor maintenance, you are not qualified to review bicycles and judge them. Period. I can't trust someone's judgment who spends $40 to "tune up" a $90" bike because he can't adjust a derailleur.

I don't see how that's relevant honestly. Its not fair for someone to bash a BBB because of mechanical issues due to improper assembly (which is honestly where most if the criticism of BBBs stem from). What you're saying is like saying someone's opinion of how a car drives is irrelevant unless they're a mechanic.

Full disclosure: I paid a shop to set up my BBB but only because the wheels needed a touch true. I've never adjusted a derailleur before but I'm sure I could figure it out after watching a 2 minute YouTube how to 8-)
Budget Bike Riders - Facebook group
metalman302

Postby Purple Haze » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:21 am

I dont care if you get experienced people to overlook the setup buy I do care about riders giving their take on performance and the after ride interview like kevcentral did was absolutely brilliant. I wish all reviews were like that featuring people that initially were skeptics. Too many reviews of bikes do not test limits or have people beat up BBBs without any oversight. MBR did a good job with multiple testers and bikes on different price scales and I hope kev keeps the ball rolling with that same theme but a modded XR PRO. The result I believe will be shocking to say the least if its a honest review.
Purple Haze

Postby HerrKaLeun » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:30 am

metalman302 wrote:
HerrKaLeun wrote:I sometimes actively look for youtube BBB reviews. The funny thing is, the reviewers say how they had to go to the LBS to tune up or check the bike.
If you have to pay an LBS to do such minor maintenance, you are not qualified to review bicycles and judge them. Period. I can't trust someone's judgment who spends $40 to "tune up" a $90" bike because he can't adjust a derailleur.

I don't see how that's relevant honestly. Its not fair for someone to bash a BBB because of mechanical issues due to improper assembly (which is honestly where most if the criticism of BBBs stem from). What you're saying is like saying someone's opinion of how a car drives is irrelevant unless they're a mechanic.

Full disclosure: I paid a shop to set up my BBB but only because the wheels needed a touch true. I've never adjusted a derailleur before but I'm sure I could figure it out after watching a 2 minute YouTube how to 8-)

I car driver could judge how a car drives. similar to how a bicycle rider could judge how it rides. But someone not able to adjust a derailleur shouldn't judge how good the derailleur is. Even the most premium derailleur needs adjustment, so no one would bash a $5k bicycle for the derailleur needing adjustment. But for some reason those self-proclaimed reviewers think they judge a bike if they know nothing?

I'm not in the market to buy a BBB, but have to defend BBB if know-nothings with 2 left hands just don't understand bikes. sure BBB have their shortcomings (poor material, poor parts) , but adjustment is what every rider should know how to do and has to be dome over time anyway.
2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 1
2018 Motobecane Sturgis NX
HerrKaLeun

Postby Purple Haze » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:13 pm

Agreed, with little knowledge or background then its not really a review more than a observation. Problem is that most reviews are observations with padded responses that support industry or a particular brand. This practice used to be illegal if there was a promotion behind it, but if there is no promotion and the reviewer dosent get money from another brand then its a valid viewpoint. The point being, take any review with a grain of salt if its coming from youtube because these people are making money off entertainment. There is one such channel that made a career off Walmart bike reviews in a effort to appeal to disgruntled Americans that had animosity towards Walmart and its extremely successful. The problem is the guy is promoting bikes that most people cannot afford now.
Purple Haze

Postby Purple Haze » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:32 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=son76rVdH1s As I suspected, this guys skills combined with his approach had me thinking this was just another cheap bike bashing video. I was completely wrong and watched with a open mind.
Purple Haze

Postby metalman302 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:41 pm

You should have started a channel for this cheap stuff like I was saying. This dude has under 4k subscribers and they're already contacting him and offering him free stuff to review. "Banggood"

https://youtu.be/uW8WxuFa8Zc
Budget Bike Riders - Facebook group
metalman302

Postby Purple Haze » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:37 am

It solidifies my points exactly and I am not looking for you tube money. I told people these exact facts without review. This stuff is good and he has cheap end cassettes. In the end at least he was honest. These vendors are smart by not giving him nothing for free because they dont have to and the reviews are real.
Purple Haze

Postby Tomcat65 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:50 am

I've been watching Eric for a long time now, and the review he did, didn't solidify any of your points. He stated clearly that the cassette performed like a cassette, but in his opinion, it's a good way to get into an 11-42 cassette, until you can afford to upgrade to ANY other brand. That cassette was a stack, it added 200g. to the weight, and it was made of stamped steel with minimum cleanup. His review was not a direct comparison, and it was just a test to see how it would perform, he said it didn't shift perfectly, that it was about what you should expect for the money.

So before you puff your chest out and think yourself vindicated.. Why did he say in the end, that he'd rather have one of the brand names, and that this was probably going to stay on the bike a few months until he comes up with a brand name? Why did he relegate it to temporary over and over again? Why did he complain about the initial quality of the piece? Because it's what you can expect from a $38.00 cassette, Period.
Tomcat65

Postby Purple Haze » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:57 am

That's hilarious because in the end of the video he says the opposite so please watch again.
Purple Haze

Postby Purple Haze » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:46 am

Its funny how there could be 30,000 positive reviews on products and people still cant see the value in this stuff and that's on the low end. The guy even says he wants a name and wanted to hate the product. If you think this is bad you should see people trying to find fault with Chinese cell phones. One of the cell phones channel reviewers said he gave up a long time ago trying to bash merchandise because the deals were unbelievable and now they will surpass both Apple and Samsung this spring. Samsung went full Chinese vendor and they turned Samsung down with the chipsets. Huawei has a brand new chipset that makes Apple look like yesteryears tech and the new phone is half the price of Apples. I couldn't make any of this stuff up in my wildest dreams.
Purple Haze

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions