Bike vs Bike or head to head

Forum rules
Be polite and courteous! Stay on topic.

Re: Bike vs Bike or head to head

Postby Purple Haze » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:16 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWoSR60sJf8 Maybe a older frame, but people still want these 26 freeride bikes and 300 bucks for this frame aint bad. This thing will take a 220 coil over easy and that's a straight up free ride bike. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/GIOSBR- ... 021b&tpp=1
Purple Haze

Postby Purple Haze » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:27 am

HTB1si1rb0HO8KJjSZFtq6AhfXXay.jpg
HTB1si1rb0HO8KJjSZFtq6AhfXXay.jpg (142.79 KiB) Viewed 88 times
I had shown a frame that for the most part cost 600 bucks at best. The company rebranded it as a U.C.I approved frame and it now cost 1,000 dollars and wears U.C.I stickers. The road bike frames are most definitely being raced and will pop up soon on tours because of their price. Aliexpress is already selling T1000 frames and that's about the highest grade of carbon fiber available.
Purple Haze

Postby Tomcat65 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:58 am

4 Chinese guys posed around an Audi with a carbon framed road bike doesn't mean anything. The fact that UCI approval makes it cost more, makes me wonder what they had to change to make it UCI worthy. Those are very small framed bikes, and as far as I can tell from the pic, the 4 with riders look like they have straight 1 1/8 head tubes.

Have you ever read what it takes to get a carbon fiber bike UCI approved? It takes more than one type of carbon fiber.
Tomcat65

Postby dddd » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:38 am

Falling demand for (and support for) 26" bikes almost certainly lags behind the "affluent western" economies by several years, since re-tooled factories try to market and sell the newer stuff at the highest price that they can get for it.
Meanwhile, the tooling and inventory for 26" bits gets funneled to economies where riders appreciate the lower prices, lighter weight and stronger wheel and fork structure that 26" bikes and parts offer at a lower price point.
There's nothing wrong with 26" wheel bikes, just that they don't seem to be market-competitive anymore in the affluent western economies except in the lowest range of bbb offerings.

A really good 26" wheel used bike can typically be bought used for so little money in the affluent western countries that in all honesty, bbb bikes hardly compete on a dollar-for-dollar basis, and my own purchase of two (under-$200) 27.5" bbb's in 2016 was really more curiosity-purchase luxury than "necessity".
But no way would I buy a new 26" wheel frame or bike from an overseas vendor since local Craigslist sellers are practically giving away their fine 26" wheel bikes as I speak.
dddd

Postby dddd » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:04 am

The marketing of that bike in front of the status car at the finish line(?) of a presumed Asia Tour race isn't targeted to people in affluent western economies.
It would seem to make plenty of sense though to riders in "emerging economy" nations where there is no Craigslist flooded with used premium bikes in top condition. This bike with a UCI sticker and an Ultegra parts group is absolutely an aspirational "status" purchase in these places, so the Audi in the background fits right in with the imagery.

The ad might be dismissed over here because one can find for example a neglected or lightly-crashed 2-year-old Colnago with the same Ultegra parts for perhaps $1000 or so, and most riders would really prefer to be seen on the Colnago, and to experience the presumed cutting-edge "ride qualities" of a slightly more contemporary bike that can be found in a wider range of sizes than the "foreign-market" bike.

I think that the companies making these unfamiliar (to us) race bikes are smart to focus on the emerging economies where western values and market principles are growing steadily and with the potential for huge future sales volumes.
dddd

Postby Purple Haze » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:26 am

Do you really think a country with the worlds fastest computer would find it difficult to make a bicycle. I dont understand dddd that you dont understand that the Asian market is the largest market on this planet we live on. Do you see these people as marketing carbon bikes to poor people or underdeveloped nations.
Purple Haze

Postby Tomcat65 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:45 am

Purple Haze wrote:Do you really think a country with the worlds fastest computer would find it difficult to make a bicycle. I dont understand dddd that you dont understand that the Asian market is the largest market on this planet we live on. Do you see these people as marketing carbon bikes to poor people or underdeveloped nations.

The reported average income for people living in the country with the worlds fastest computer is still right around the equivalent of $10,000 USD/yr

They have to market these products within their own country too, and China's communist government is not above promoting propaganda to their own.

And, yes, in nations where the average person might not be able to buy a car, bicycles dominate. Either bike sales or sandals made out of tires. Even in those countries, there will be people who find a way to break out of poverty at some point, and any bike newer than 5yrs old could be a status symbol.
Tomcat65

Postby Purple Haze » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:11 pm

The last thing on a poor persons mind is riding a carbon bike down the road to impress his neighbors I guarantee.
Purple Haze

Postby Tomcat65 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:15 pm

Purple Haze wrote:The last thing on a poor persons mind is riding a carbon bike down the road to impress his neighbors I guarantee.

Amen!
Exactly why I'd never settle for a Chinese Carbon fiber bike.
My money means more to me than buying status among my neighbors. I live in a rural community where there are only a few people who know or care anything at all about bikes. BUT, when I was younger and more care free with my money, I wanted the best of the best. Now, in my 50's, I want dependability, warranty, and local service. You can't get those readily with Chinese Carbon fiber. The Asian market is not my problem, means nothing to me. Only when it affects the worldwide economy, does it affect me in any way. The bicycle segment of global economy directly reflects on China. We all get that, but while you're always screaming about choice, Americans are living in a time where we can afford the bicycles we want. We will make our own choice, and your opinion does not persuade us in any way.
Tomcat65

Postby Purple Haze » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:01 am

Just came back from my Sunday walk and Chinese matte black carbon bikes were everywhere. These people are definitely into these bikes and it continues to grow.
Purple Haze

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions