Bike budgets

Forum rules
Be polite and courteous! Stay on topic.

Re: Bike budgets

Postby junkyarddog » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:53 pm

I have no respect for kids that get nice stuff from mom and daddy and then look down on what others have.....but I have also seen the same group act like they are pro riders when online....I had crappy used dept store 10 speeds when I was a kid.....I rode them all over the place and got my first mountain bike with money from my first job.... when you get older and have to keep riding on the cheap you learn how to be resourceful to keep riding.... I get funny looks from the lycra carbon fiber weekend warriors with the bikes I ride.....even more so when I rip by on my rigid SS raleigh or any of the other bikes that have passed through my stable.... people say " you need a new bike" my response is " do I hear someone say they were gonna buy it for me?"..... no?..... well F**k off then
2013 GT eggressor- summer commuter bike
97 specialized rockhopper-SS winter commuter
roadmaster mtn sport 24"- wifes
junkyarddog

Postby Purple Haze » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:50 pm

Bike snobbery is a thing of the past if your well informed and Walmart had a whole lot to do with that in the U.S.A.The bikes that were supplied occasionally outperformed their LBS counterparts in price and reliability and made the well to do biking crowd look pretty foolish to purchase such high price machinery for recreation purposes.On the professional level Chinese carbon bikes perform with pretty much the same zeal as the name brand bikes from name brand manufactures with the same componentry.The car world is experiencing the same thing nowadays with performance cars from America outperforming exotic European cars for fractions of the cost.There is no need for anyone to covet anything anymore as long as your enjoying yourself on the trail or street.
Purple Haze

Postby bikesRfun » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:12 am

Most of the big name high cost bikes are in fact made in China and Taiwan.
A couple of years ago at a bike demo day I rode a $5,250 mtn bike on a test loop. I then rode my $150 mongoose on the same loop.
Was the expensive one better? Yes, it was 35 times the price, it should be.
Was it 35 times better? No. 2 x better, yes. 3 x better, maybe. 35 x better? No, not a chance.
bikesRfun

Postby orvil » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:55 pm

Most everything is made in China and Taiwan these days lol. As far as the cost of LBS bikes, I think the suspension and frame engineering as well as the components justifies the cost of those bikes. The same as exotic cars. A BBB will get you around most trails just like an expensive Santa Cruz or Intense. A '91 Geo Metro will get you from point A to point B the same as a Lamborghini Huracan. But the performance and the experience will be different. As far as comparative costs, well that's for the owners to decide. I bought my Deception in 2011 knowing I could upgrade it over time to a certain extent and make a very capable trail bike. BUT some of the original components just couldn't take the abuse of my local trails. The freewheel lasted less than a week. I broke several rear axles exposing the inherent flaw of freewheel axles. And the front forks worked well, too well actually lol, making the front of the bike uncontrollable on certain technical trails. And the bike was heavy with all the inexpensive components. I've upgraded everything on the bike except the frame, seat post clamp and rear brake caliper. It now performs flawlessly. Is it as good as a $3000 hard tail? Probably not. That $3000 hard tail would weigh quite a few pounds less. Is it as good as a $1500 hardtail? Absolutely. But the owner of a $1500 hardtail wouldn't have to upgrade his bike to make it truly trail capable and comparatively light weight. And that's the biggest difference between BBB and LBS bikes.
orvil

Postby endomaster » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:18 pm

C.Mehler2004 wrote: So if you have any ideas on how I can make some more money without working ( because I'm underage ) please let me know.

That's darn near impossible, I can only suggest you do what I did when I turned 14 and needed money and my parents where not in the position to buy what I wanted versus what I needed, get a job. My first summer job was picking apples and peaches in the orchards back when there were still orchards in Riverside, CA. Since that is illegal now, and I'm sure it was back then as well due to my age, I suggest a job at a movie theater or coffee shop or fast food.
Road
2011 Felt Z100 - SS conversion
2011 Ragley Cragg Vale
2016 PlanetX Pro Carbon

Mountain
2011 On One Inbred SS

General Use
1993 Mongoose Crossway 625
endomaster

Previous

Return to General Discussions