Bike budgets

Forum rules
Be polite and courteous! Stay on topic.

Bike budgets

Postby C.Mehler2004 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:03 pm

I want to go all out on mountain bikes but not having a lot of money can be crucial when trying to find a nice mountain bike. Even though you can ride trails and Street on mountain bikes from Walmart it's not the same hitting jumps and hearing a screech coming from your rear wheel hub. Sometimes if you can get the right parts you can be able to ride hard on Walmart mountain bikes but being made fun of by people who ride trek is hard to ignore. No matter how much you pay for a Walmart mountain bike it will almost always have a problem. So if you have any ideas on how I can make some more money without working ( because I'm underage ) please let me know.
C.Mehler2004

Re: Bike budgets

Postby Tomcat65 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:31 pm

For me, riding better on a lesser bike is what makes the rider cool. :P
When you're under age and no job, you pretty well have to take what you get and make the best of it.. or you help them with their bikes and maybe they hand the better parts down as they upgrade their bikes..
Tomcat65

Postby bikesRfun » Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:40 am

If you can keep up with the Trek rider on your Wal-Mart bike, who cares what he thinks? I wouldn't.

You can find a decent older name brand full suspension mtn bike for about $200 on craigslist or pawn shop or yard sale. 26" wheel mtn bikes are cheap because people are moving to 27.5" or 29"

A harder / less likely option is to start racing and winning. Then you can get your bikes and gear free like my friend's 14 yr old son.
bikesRfun

Postby junkyarddog » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:37 pm

if you are handy with a wrench you can drag off free bikes and put some together and sell them..... sometimes you fall into a good bike.... both my bikes were ones I drug off for free and put together with with parts from other bikes plus some new parts
2013 GT eggressor- summer commuter bike
97 specialized rockhopper-SS winter commuter
roadmaster mtn sport 24"- wifes
junkyarddog

Postby orvil » Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:29 am

The best way to get into mountain biking on a budget is to buy an older bike off Craigslist since the bike will be local (most likely) and you can actually look at the bike before forking over your hard earned cash. Always take an experienced rider with you to help look over the bike so they can point out potential problems and keep you from suffering buyer's remorse later. Keep in mind that these will be 26ers but they will still be a blast to ride. I just bought a '99 Rocky Mountain Hammer Race for $50 to build up for my son-in-law for Christmas. I invested another $50 or so in it and its a sweet-riding bike. And no Trek owner will laugh or thumb their nose at it. As far as Walmart bikes, the key is finding a bike that can be upgraded. Avoid bikes with 1" steer tubes because the forks will not take the abuse you will want to subject it to. And keep in mind that almost all Walmart bikes will have freewheels instead of freehubs and cassettes which makes upgrading a little more expensive. A good starting point for upgradeable Walmart bikes is a Mongoose Deception. It came with mostly alloy components, 1 1/8" head set and steer tube, mechanical disc brakes and mostly modern frame geometry. This is a 29er bike and you may be able to find one cheap. I ride one of these myself and I've upgraded almost everything and no one would ever guess it came from Walmart. I ride this bike HARD on some nasty technical trails. As far as dragging off free bikes and repurposing parts, that's fine for retro-builds but, again, you're most likely going to be looking at bikes that won't stand up to the trail riding that someone your age is looking to do. I've got a nice retro Marin that I ride on the same trails as the Mongoose but I avoid hucking off the same obstacles. It's got a 1 1/8" head set and steer tube but its a rigid fork. I might install a Marzocchi Bomber fork on it sometime in the near future. Read as much as you can from mountain bike web sites and magazines and get a good base of knowledge on what to save for in the future. I understand your dilemma and I hope this reply helps.
orvil

Postby AR.Nola » Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:31 pm

C.Mehler2004,

All bikes, even the most expensive ones or the best ones will have a problem eventually. My advice is to keep riding whatever it is you are riding. When it breaks, fix it... yourself! There are many ways to find out how to fix things. If you are young like you said, I think you are better in finding solutions than most of us here. When it breaks again, fix it again... YOURSELF! Keep doing that until no problem whatsoever can make you worry about your bike because you just know how to deal with it. In the future you might find yourself fixing the neighborhood bikes. It will not be work but you might get some cash, maybe for a nice fork??? But the coolest thing about it is... Someday you will be biking somewhere remote and come to another cyclist stranded by the side of the trail with his or her $7,000 Specialized or Trek bike. As you slow to a stop, you say, "Do you need help?" :)

Happy New Year!
Last edited by AR.Nola on Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
AR.Nola

Postby junkyarddog » Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:31 pm

there are books on bike repair that can teach you how to fix things... I have...

Mountain Bike Maintenance by Rob Van der Plas
Anybody's bike book by Tom Cuthbertson
Mountain Bikes: Maintenance and Repair by John Stevens and Brant Richards
The Bicycling Guide To Complete Bicycle Maintenance & Repair by Todd Downs

the first 3 are older books, but there is some useful info in these if you are working with older bikes
junkyarddog

Postby bikesRfun » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:24 am

You tube is a good resource for bike repair info.
bikesRfun

Postby junkyarddog » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:45 am

RJ the bike guy has some good how to videos on you tube
junkyarddog

Postby metalman302 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:16 am

Are you trolling here kid? I'm confused....... so you registered here to talk crap about our bikes, then ask for employment advice so you can buy a LBS bike?

I like having a cheap bike. More money for other hobbies.

So say you save up a few hundo for a used Trek/Giant or whatever. You're feeling like you're "in the club" now? What happens when some kid your age rolls up on a $3,000+ bike their parent bought them? Something to thing about..... there's always someone with nicer toys.
Budget Bike Riders - Facebook group
metalman302

Next

Return to General Discussions