Why Do New Riders Focus on Full Suspension Bikes?

Forum rules
Be polite and courteous! Stay on topic.

Re: Why Do New Riders Focus on Full Suspension Bikes?

Postby Badjack » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:23 pm

I have never owned a FS bicycle, so I can't comment on how they ride. Most BBB's will be used on hard pavement for commuting, exercise or fun, and having the option of installing a permanent rack to carry things is the main reason I would avoid buying a FS bicycle. Plus, who really needs full suspension for street riding?

Anyone know where I can find a milk crate? Do they even make those anymore?
Badjack

Postby wa_desert_rat » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:54 am

Yup... you can buy them from Amazon. :)
WDR
http://www.bigboxbikes.com
"No one has ever had to evacuate a city because the solar ;panels broke!"
wa_desert_rat

Postby junkyarddog » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:25 am

places like walmart and target have knockoff milk crates..... though they are a bit flimsy compared to a real milk crate
2013 GT eggressor- summer commuter bike
97 specialized rockhopper-SS winter commuter
roadmaster mtn sport 24"- wifes
junkyarddog

Postby Badjack » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:45 am

Thanks! I just noticed people selling milk crates on ebay.
Badjack

Postby bikesRfun » Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:21 am

I prefer full suspension mountain bikes with gears, but your post is well written and accurate. The rocky, hilly trails I ride are more enjoyable on a full suspension mountain bike with gears. As an older rider (55+), the suspension is easier on my back, and the gears make it easier on my knees.
bikesRfun

Postby Quesote » Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:43 am

Having not ridden for 15 years and wanting to ride anew on the lowest BBB budget possible, I deliberately avoided full suspension not because of cosmetics (I actually agree they look more high tech), but because of reliability, particularly in Illinois which is mostly flat prairie. My thought was the more moving parts at a low price point, the greater the likelihood of failure. I settled on the rigid-framed Huffy superia, and so far, so good.
Quesote

Postby dddd » Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:01 pm

I also decided that a rigid frame would be best for me, since I have enough of a hard time already just keeping these bbb's cheap suspension forks working smoothly. I add some kind of fork boots the first time that I have the forks apart for clean-out and re-greasing, and I always use either a suspension seatpost or at least a thickly cushioned saddle to smooth out the ride in back. I also tend to stand while descending bumpy trails, so my legs can absorb a lot of the up and down.
I also settled on a bike with plus-sized tire/rim setup, so I run the pressure at just below 20psi and that cushions the ride, helps the traction and lets the tires last longer.
dddd

Postby Quesote » Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:33 am

That's a good point, if ride comfort is a factor then a cruiser saddle with built in suspension will help a lot while not sacrificing the power transmitted to the rear wheel.
Quesote

Postby Chompchomp » Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:39 am

Full suspension bikes are great for building up confidence - beginner riders would take their full suspension bike to places where they would be too scared to ride their hardtail. A good full suspension bike that is, not the el cheapo pogo stick kind.
Chompchomp

Postby Purple Haze » Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:37 pm

FS bikes have their place if you live in area where you spend a majority of the time on trails.Too many people went into this sport thinking that speed was everything and soon found out that for the most part this is a grueling, extreme sport of attrition.29ers came along and suppressed that annoying micro vibration that made everyones hands numb but that larger holes still transmitted waves of impact directly to the body.Over years of riding it has a major impact on how you think about approaching that divet in the road at speed and FS 29ers barely register that impact but hard tails do and I noticed that the people that have hard tails are more likely to concentrate on setting up for that impact instead of enjoying full bore cruise mode when a trail allows that.Over miles and miles on the trails it wears on people and makes them think twice about trail riding.Since I have 26er FS bikes I always think about setup when I am in full on coasting mode down a mountain but have a whole lot of respect for crashing and just slow it down a lot to lessen the damage to my body.My point is 29ers in general are a whole different animal on the trails and FS 29ers further take the edge off of a very hard to the body sport.
Purple Haze

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions