Why Do New Riders Focus on Full Suspension Bikes?

Forum rules
Be polite and courteous! Stay on topic.

Re: Why Do New Riders Focus on Full Suspension Bikes?

Postby SoloOwners » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:19 am

If you're mountain biking, sure. If you're street, road and/or gravel/paved trail riding WHY?
Be mindful of the ruts and slightly stand to take the shocks of the ruts, bumps and rocks.
There's no way I'd buy a full or even half suspended bike for the road.
SoloOwners

Postby NYMXer » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:31 pm

In August 2016, I bought a bike (Mongoose XR Pro 29) from Walmart, thinking that this is the best bike in the world. I bought it because I was going to do rail trail off road riding, grass and gravel, and thought (as a newbie) more suspension is better than less. Haha, well, the bike was good until I wanted to go for road rides, but it did okay.

One day I was "bragging" with a friend that I mountain bike and he said that he had a buddy who also rode mtb.... so he got us connected. Well, he took me REAL mountain biking, and while the bike did fine, I quickly learned the difference between a $350 Mongoose and a $2500 Specialized.

So, while I was glad that I got the best Mtb available from Walmart (at the time). Most newbies don't know any better and think (like I did) that more suspension is better than less. I ride a 27.5x3 hardtail now, cf frame, hydraulic discs brakes, 1x11 gearing and quality Pike forks... I now know better. It's all part of growing into the sport.
NYMXer

Postby Purple Haze » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:37 am

Depends on what your trying to do with the bike NYMXer.The xr pro with 700-800 dollars invested including bike is not that much further behind a LBS bike and is a formidable mountain weapon.2,500 dollars buys you or anyone a full on carbon race mountain bike with carbon wheels sourced off Aliexpress, and Specialized or any other big name LBS company wont give you a package like that.Its more about the package that makes the ride.
Purple Haze

Postby NYMXer » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:27 am

I hear you on that Purple Haze, but in the end, the Mongoose is too heavy for me to invest money on it to make it a good off road trail bike. I like riding it stock, as it is "good enough" for most trails and usually capable for whatever I can throw at it. I still think it is one of the best mtb bargains out there for the money but it will never compare to bikes cost almost 10 times as much no matter how much you invest into it. In my opinion, the frame is not worth that kind of upgrading if you want to ride more difficult single track trails.
It is the best beginner bike that I could ever recommend to someone on a limited budget and as you said, could be upgraded as their funds allow. Sometimes, that is the best way to go but for me, it was better to just buy another bike.
NYMXer

Postby bikesRfun » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:46 am

Regarding buying new, I think a $250 msrp bike would be fine for riding neighborhood streets, canals and bike paths. If you're going to do real mountain biking on rocky technical single track, you need to be looking at a $2500 msrp (or more) bike.

Buying used, you can get a decent mountain bike for much less.

I still enjoy riding my walmart mongoose(26), but I also ride and enjoy my KHS (27.5) and Trek (29).
I guess I enjoy riding anything with 2 wheels. .
bikesRfun

Postby Purple Haze » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:16 pm

We are already at the 160 USD mark for 27.5 or 29er 6061 aluminum frames and top line racing spec wheels for under 500 usd in the aftermarket.I still profess to everyone on this forum that LBS prices are absurd for completed bikes even if you have the money.2,500 USD buys a racing bike that is a complete carbon DS with top line components except brand new electronic shifting.Bikes R fun,save your money and build it yourself.
Purple Haze

Postby bikesRfun » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:49 am

Don't know if this is true, but a LBS employee told me that 11 shops closed last year in our city. He said people are buying online.
I bought my 2013 KHS from a very nice mom and pop LBS in a small town. I got it January 2015 as a new leftover, so it has a warranty but I got a big discount.
I buy new and used. I have no desire to buy all the parts separately from China to make a complete bike. Maybe someday I will.
bikesRfun

Postby Purple Haze » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:07 am

Below 100 dollar 6061 HT 26er to 27.5 frames on Aliexpress all day long as well as 120 dollar ultralight HT 7005 frames with 12 dollar shipping fees.Or you can buy the same thing from a LBS for 500 and above.
Purple Haze

Postby bikesRfun » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:43 am

That's good to know, but for mountain biking any new bike I get will have at least 4" of rear wheel travel and at very most 6". I don't foresee being in the market for a new mtn bike anytime soon.

My next NEW bike will probably be from a Big Box store and have 700c tires.
bikesRfun

Postby mark42 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:32 pm

I have no idea. I have been riding traditional bikes since 1966. Just recently got into suspension bikes. They are so cool. Slam curbs head on full speed and they just jump the curb! LOL! What more can you ask for?
2016 Raleigh Tomahawk 6061 MTB. Mods: Carbon Fiber 29" fork, 203 & 160 mm rotors. BB5. Deore derailleurs. Kenda K935 700x50c. Kenda Kwest 26x1.95 (2.185) . VUELTA 52T/42T/3OT. K-Pedc Pedals. 31.8mm Ritchie bar. Gavin gel foam saddle.
mark42

Previous

Return to General Discussions