Mechanical VS Hydraulic Disk setups

Forum rules
Be polite and courteous! Stay on topic.

Mechanical VS Hydraulic Disk setups

Postby Berg » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:27 pm

I have recently brought a new bike into the collection for a song, this one is an Diamondback 29er hardtail. I cleaned it up and went through everything and found that the brake cables and housings, pads and rotors all need to be replaced, as suspected. I'd like to replace the levers as well as i don't like the feel or ergonomics of them. The brakes in question are Hayes MX4 mechanical disks. I have another bike with a similar Hayes brake setup and have no complaints about their performance at all with the Avid Speed dial levers I swapped. If I purchase new rotors, pads, cables and levers to rebuild what I have, i've met the cost of a complete Shimano BR-M315 front and rear hydraulic setup from Rock Brothers. Having never owned hydraulic disk brakes, is the power and modulation really there over my refreshed mechanicals?
Berg

Re: Mechanical VS Hydraulic Disk setups

Postby metalman302 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:40 pm

Having M375 mechanical disk on one bike, then having hydro M315 on my current bike.... I would say the answer is YES without question. Night and day.
Budget Bike Riders - Facebook group
metalman302

Re: Mechanical VS Hydraulic Disk setups

Postby bikesRfun » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:01 am

I have bikes with Avid, Hayes and Shimano hydraulic.
They all will slow me or stop me so they all work good. I prefer Avid hydraulic a little more than Hayes because Avid is easier to bleed.
I prefer Avid hydraulic over Shimano for 2 reasons. I think bleeding Avid is a little easier. I also know it's easier to find dot 4 brake fluid than Shimano mineral oil
bikesRfun

Return to General Discussions