Schwinn Sierra Currie Electro Drive

Ed Begley, Jr. rides one of these! (See the tv program "Living with Ed")
Forum rules
Be polite and courteous! Stay on topic!

Re: Schwinn Sierra Currie Electro Drive

Postby FORB » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:28 pm

Last few. Looks like somebody had the seat post too high once. Gonna be quite a chore pulling the seat post as it's stuck in there good.
That was alot of work with the pics, time for a beer.
Attachments
DSC00100.JPG
DSC00100.JPG (162.51 KiB) Viewed 97 times
DSC00099.JPG
DSC00099.JPG (164.79 KiB) Viewed 97 times
DSC00098.JPG
DSC00098.JPG (165.06 KiB) Viewed 97 times
FORB

Postby Tomcat65 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:24 pm

Looking forward to more of this bike!
Tomcat65

Postby wa_desert_rat » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:22 pm

Free is a great price. Lots to clean up and fix up. The batteries are probably sealed-lead-acid and certainly toast but that means you can upgrade to Lithium. LiPoFe4 would be smaller for more power. Chain looks tired out.

Shame let a nice bike sit out unused. Although I've often thought "what's the point?" when it comes to eBikes, I can see the advantage for someone who commutes. Wife and I now have a Nissan Leaf for her 37-mile commute (each way) saving about $150 every month over the SUV (including the payments on the Leaf).

Electric is great, that's for sure.

Have fun. Keep us posted!
WDR
http://www.bigboxbikes.com
"No one has ever had to evacuate a city because the solar ;panels broke!"
wa_desert_rat

Postby FORB » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:48 pm

SLA batteries for sure. Tried to open the case but the brass thread inserts spin freely from the plastic housing because the screws seized up. Might have to use some superglue to reset them. I don't want to damage anything if I can help it.

I'll try to retrue the wheel but it may have been warped from the torque of the motor. I have another bike, a gasoline powered motor assist bike I built up, I bought the rear wheelset with the kit, it's a double wall rim with 105 gauge spokes, heavy duty. Thinking of building one up. Just need to build me a wheel truing stand.
FORB

Postby FORB » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:57 pm

Most everything functional as a BICYCLE sans front derailleur (sticks) and rear brakes (sticks too). Also seat. Grips. For the most part it pedals, shifts, and stops. Tubes hold air.
From what minimal I've been able to research on the 'net the motor is great for takeoff and accelerating up to 10 mph on it's own. Still have yet to get the electric part going.

If anybody knows of or has any experience with these bikes let me know!!!!! They are pretty rare especially if the internet doesn't know what it is!!!!
FORB

Previous

Return to Electric Assist Bikes