Electric conversion kit install

Ed Begley, Jr. rides one of these! (See the tv program "Living with Ed")
Forum rules
Be polite and courteous! Stay on topic!

Re: Electric conversion kit install

Postby to the beach » Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:15 pm

Thanks desertguns, this is the first EBike I've built. I bought the Del Rio with intentions to just ride it as is, however when I came across this kit on craigslist, I immediately wanted the electric conversion. Before, I would ride to just the gas station 2 miles away. Now I'm heading right into downtown 5 miles away. Amazon sells this kit as well as EBAY. Amazon offers a better guarantee at a 10% higher cost. EBAY just guarantees it won't be DOA. These 1000 Watt kits are $250-300 shipped to your door. If you want to travel 20 miles round trip, the battery needs to be a 20 Amp Hour LiFePo4. There's a lot of underpowered bikes out there and that's not the right way. The only brand of battery everyone seems to agree on is from PINGbattery. Since the kit doesn't include a battery, you'd be paying close to $1000 for the kit and battery with the correct Lithium charger included. The beauty of buying a kit vs. a pre-built E-Bike is you chose the bike to convert, kits offer more power/speed for less, and you can design the bike with a much larger battery for longer travel distances.

I currently have the cheaper/heavier sealed lead acid batteries that work with the charger included in the kit. They were already used by the previous owner for about 2 months. They weigh 3 times as much as an equally capable Lithium battery pack and the Lithium pack can be recharged 2000 times vs. 200 for SLA.
to the beach

Postby Nagant » Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:31 pm

I think your Del Rio looks great as well. Last month I was going to purchase one but found a very good condition 1999 Schwinn Searcher on Craigslist. If I hadn't found that Searcher I would have a Del Rio for sure. Love the fact they have an aluminum frame, 7 gears, and decent fenders for around $130.
Nagant

Postby to the beach » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:04 am

My bike will do 20 miles round trip without a problem as long as the hill climbing is less than 33% of the ride. I have it up for sale, $850. I've now travelled around 400 miles on this bike. The only reason to sell is to fund another build.

The Kona was not my bike.
to the beach

Postby to the beach » Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:17 pm

I'm just approaching 1000 miles now and the kit has worked well. The batteries have had 100 cycles and should last at least another 1000 miles before they reach 80% and time to replace. My one and only flat, I had a rear tire blow out last summer and replaced it and a broken spoke. The front tire, also original, is bald in the middle section now and will be replaced soon. I'm not surprised because with 30 ft/lbs. of torque off the line, the tire will easily spin a bit (front wheel drive). The electronics, ie: the controller and throttle, have never once failed. The motor is holding up well too, except for a flaky hall sensor that may need replacing.
to the beach

Postby to the beach » Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:00 pm

I just sold this bike.
to the beach

Previous

Return to Electric Assist Bikes